If public school is your only option how can you make sure you kid doesn't get lost in the system and that they are actually getting a decent education?

My son is only 15 months old but I worry so much bc I hear such bad things about public schools. And I know here in Texas right now basically what they teach is the TAKS test. So what can I do now, and for the next 4 years, and after school starts for him to make him stand out. He will be starting preschool 2 days a week in Sept.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in

• You have to be involved. Helping them with their work, staying in contact with teacher etc.

Anonymous

• Regardless of how you choose to educate your child--be it in public school or private school, success in school is PRIMARILY determined by parental involvement!!! In our home, education is not an "option!," and teacher's are NOT "stupid!"

Many parents do not take the time to supplement their childrens' education--by doing homework together, going to the library together, taking family "field trips" to museums and other places of interest to broaden their childrens' scope of certain subjects--they instead rely on the schools to do this for them--and then complain when the school fails to turn out an Ivy League candidate!!

AND if your child has a delay, difficulty or behavior issues parents need to put aside their own insecurities and ADDRESS the problem!!! Whatever it takes--and there are PLENTY of FREE programs to help your children in these areas should you not have the time, desire or financial ability to do so yourself!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:23 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• From what I have seen the parents NEED to be involved! You have to go help out in the classroom and talk to the teachers and go to recess and see who their friends are and just be there. You dont have to do it all of the time but your presence at the school will let the teachers know you are an involved parent. onestly I have seen kids treated different because the teachers know they can get away with it because the parents done go there and see whats going on. Its sad to say. I want to know who my child is having contact with day in and day out, its important to me.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 12:38 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• LoriKeet says it all. Involved parents provide education. Take your child to the zoo, museums, art exhibits, read to him/her, keep TV educational, and talk, talk, talk. When they reach school age, don't turn it over to the teachers; keep up the work.

Most parents whose kids succeed in school have basically been "homeschooling" for years. They just don't realize it.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:58 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• You have to be an involved parent, in and out of school. You can do educational enrichment on your own, or through outside classes.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:15 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Get to know your child's teacher. Let him/her know that you want to be involved in your child's education. At the same time, let the teacher know that you respect the job s/he is doing & you don't want to micromanage, but rather be a partner in your child's education. Work together, not against each other. My DS's teacher & I worked very hard last year to get DS up to grade level. She let me know everything she was doing in the classroom & I worked at home. DS made amazing accomplishments this past year b/c his teacher & I worked together.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 1:46 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I am one of those parents.. the one who emails or calles the teacher two or three times a week I am at every single school function i volunteer as afoten as i can with parties and school fundraisers. I check and go over all homework and review school papers when she bring shome classwork with a missed question we go over that particular question to find out why she missed it if it was just a time thing and she felt rushed and didnt pay as much attention or if she guessed cause she didnt feel confident that she could figure out the right answer. I contact the counselor and principal with concerns about anything and everything. The people at school get tired of seeing me, even the lunch ladys when i pop in to make sure shes eating and making healthy lunch choices. I make notes on homework if I felt like she was struggling with that assignment asking the teacher to send home another worksheet about that subject or asking for
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 2:28 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• suggestions that will help her get a better grasp on the topic at hand. we go to the library museums, etc. Im just there and she knows everyday that i know she should have homework and on the days that she doesnt bring home homework I call the teacher. be consistent and age appropriate with your expectations too. Stay in contact with the teacher, school, counselor, etc just be involved and let your child/children know that school is the most important and your little one should be fine
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 2:32 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• To ensure that they are getting the best education, you not only need to be involved outside the class but also inside the class. I volunteered in my daughters class every week this past year (kindergarten). A few other moms also volunteered regularly. We noticed that the kids whose parents were in the classroom were the only kids who were reading fluently at the end of the school year. The moms took turns running reading groups with the kids that could read (while they were learning to read) while the teacher focused on the kids who weren't ready for it yet. I also supplemented my daughter's education myself with things that I wanted her to learn. If we asked the teacher for additional work, she was more than happy to give us more and she sent my daughter home with a backpack full of work for this summer.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:04 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Just be involved in your children's education from day one. Get to know teachers, the school programs, join the PTO, etc...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:10 PM on Jul. 26, 2009