Is this legitamate? WAH Medical coding?

I saw an ad in a magazine that you could study and work at home to be a medical coder. Is this legitamate or a waste of time and money?

kristinas8

Asked by kristinas8 at 12:28 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• It's just plain silly... not one office is ever going to let you do this stuff from your home Hon. Too many privacy policies in place right now. You can take the course, but you would have to work in an office and why do that? If you want a job doing it, I am sure they would train you there. Don't waste money on stuff like this.
    Anonymous

• Yes you can train online from home for medical transcription, coding and billing. If you would like to see what a reputable company looks like, click here. They are awesome. They provide you with great training, and will help you get a job when you graduate. Good for you!!

Anonymous

• I'm sure there are a few legit schools, but it's mostly a pipe dream. Dr's want to hire someone who has been to a certified school and has 'in office' experience.

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Yes, there are legit companies that let you train at home to be a medical coder and transcriptionist and others. as far as medical coder working from home, not likely unless you are already working with a company that is trying to cut down costs.

For a reputable school(I also am a a student here) click here.

This school is a partner with the department of defense and labor to train military families especially for portable careers(such as medical transcription that can be done from home).

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 4:59 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I am not a certifited medical coder but I do work from home for a company doing data entry with medical insurance claims so it's not much different. I do know that there are companies that offer work from home jobs for medical coding as well so I wouldn't say it isn't possible. I don't know how you would be able to know for sure if a company is reputable or not though. You could always go to a regular business school to get certified and then look for a job for a company in your area that offers work from home postions. I know that a lot more companies seem to offering WAH jobs these days as a way of cutting costs. Of course I worked for my company in office for several years before a WAH position was offered to me.
    coppersoul

Answer by coppersoul at 8:30 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Notice the LINKS in the previous answers, Hon.... They are not legit. They want you to sign up under them so THEY can earn money. This is not something you want to invest in. You can go work at a Dr's Office and get experience. No one is going to let you do this stuff on line. CONFIDENTIALITY is a must these days!!
    Anonymous

• I think it's great that a school will allow you to refer other people to the school so you can get a referral fee. This can help you put some money in your pocket and allow you to connect with current students. I wouldn't necessarily call it a scam if people are allowed to get paid because they referred you. There is actually a group here on cafemom for careerstep (the company listed in the previous links) you should check them out and get your questions answered. I have a good friend who went to careerstep and received great training and was able to score a job before she was certified with a very reputable company. GL
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 10:09 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• HEY. I just graduated last October. Top of my class. Guess what. There are only one or two medical coders for an entire billing agency. The rest are insurance billers. You will not get coder's pay. Also, the coding you do for physicians is DIFFERENT then coding for hospitals.
    What these places are really training you to do is answer phones for the medical offices.
    Most places do NOT hire work at home people. You also MUST work in the industry for three years before you can work at home at all.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:52 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• YES THERE ARE places that allow for work at home. IT IS just SO RARE. Just wanted to clarify that.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:53 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I am a medical coder. I DO NOT work from home. It is possible to work from home, there are ways around all the confidentiality issues, however IN MY EXPERIENCE, it's nearly impossible to find a full time coding position that does not include other duties (such as billing) unless you are working for a coding consulting firm. A medical office would rather use a consulting firm than hire an individual to work at home. I strongly suggest doing some research in your area to make sure the opportunities you want are even out there for you.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 8:33 AM on Jul. 27, 2009