Allergic reaction to Sunblock

A few hours after applying sunblock on my kids, my daughter began to develop a red, itchy and slightly raised rash. It was not an immediate reaction and I thought it was weird that it took a few hours to develop but when it was fully up she was very uncomfortable.

I called the doctor's emergency line and he gave me recommendations to treat it.

But now - with several weeks of the summer to go I must search for a sun block that will be safe and gentle on my little mama. Can you guys tell me what you use or recommend any brands for her that will fully protect her from the sun but should not cause an allergic reaction?

I do admit that I was slapped with guilt since I bought and applied the lotion on her. She's MUCH better now and free from the itchies. But I still feel bad for not putting more thought into a pretty important purchase.

PassionDiva_NY

Asked by PassionDiva_NY at 1:14 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My one year old had a reaction to Water babies sunscreen. Our Pediatrician told us to try Neutragena, that one works well. And it doesn't stink, so we like it. Good Luck
    Anonymous

• My mom is allergic to sunblock and she's tried many brands to find out what works for her. She found that using a low SPF formula, such as SPF 5, works fine for her. Try using different brands of sunscreen on him as each company uses a different blend of ingredients that may irritate him such as PABA. Try a PABA-free formula or one containing titanium or zinc oxide.

Check out this website and see if the information there helps:

http://allergies.about.com/od/contactdermatitis/a/sunscreens.htm
    AneesasMom

Answer by AneesasMom at 1:28 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Was the sunblock old? Last yr my DD had a reaction to sunblock that was a yr old. Had to take her to Urgent Care and they gave her Benadryl. You could try California Baby sunblock..alittle expensive but made out of natural ingredients. Good luck finding one that works on your DD.

Kam06

Answer by Kam06 at 6:41 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• i can't use most sunblocks cause i am allergic to the zinc oxide in them. i use a more natural sunscreen and have learned to make my own as well.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 7:03 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My dd had this same problem. She has very sensitive skin. I used CooperTone Water Babies on her, and she was fine. Just look for something mild and for babies.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:18 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My daughter is allergic to the huggies spray
    lascrash

Answer by lascrash at 9:35 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Try California Baby or Burt's Bees

I always check the safetly of the ingredients of skincare products before buying then: www.cosmeticsdatabase.com

Answer by rkoloms at 9:37 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• also: Avon's is not bad. Its the only sunblock I could use.
    Does your dd sunburn??
    I ask b/c I NEVER sunburned (until I went to puerto rico at 8), but was allergic to ALL sunblocks which drove my grandma crazy - she kept trying to find one, finally she learned to leave me alone

After Puerto rico we discovered Avon hypo allegenic. I be now a days there a bunch of all natural formulas too
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:59 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• It really depends on the ingreedient IN the sunblock. Many moms could recommend what works for them, but it may not for you. You will just have to do a trial and error experiment. Just use a small amount the size of a golf ball on your child's leg (inside, before you actually NEED the sunblock) watch that small spot and look to see if there is a reaction. Aveeno is what I use on my son, who has multiple food allergies, and it works well. Mustela also worked for my son.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 1:43 PM on Jul. 27, 2009