How do I get my son to stop using his pacifier?

My son is 21 months. My hope is to have it so he isn't using his pacifier by the time he turns two. He only uses it at naptime and at night, but won't go to sleep without it. That is the only thing he feels he must have to go to sleep. Everything else he doesn't care, as long as he has his pacifier. I have tried taking it away, but he won't go to sleep. He will just cry. Any suggestions would be great!

sunshinepraying

Asked by sunshinepraying at 1:35 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just went cold turkey one night. I did have to deal with a lot of crying and she didn't sleep all that well for several nights but eventually she got used to going to sleep without it. It's not easy but it has to be done at some point. If you do take it away you should be consistent and not give it back. Throw them away so you have no choice. That's what I did.
    coppersoul

Answer by coppersoul at 8:23 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Ive been trying to do the same with my 22 month old, it just means alot of sleepless nights. Ive been staying in the room with her so she is not as upset going to sleep then when she falls asleep I sneak out. Unfortunately she has been waking alot more during the night
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 1:37 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My aunt used the pacifier fairy. She told my cousin that newborn babies need the pacifiers and that it would mean a lot to them if they could have hers. My other aunt just threw them away.
    mommy2be32509

Answer by mommy2be32509 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• When my oldest son was 2.5 we "lost" his paci - sorry, we just can't find it (I made sure they were all out of the house). Yes, he cried for the first night but then he was fine. My middle two were not paci children. With my youngest (he's 8 months) we are limiting it to his crib and car right now. I will probably use the paci fairy (similar to the tooth fairy - where you tell the child to leave his paci right outside his door and the paci fairy will leave him a toy (or money for him to buy a treat at the store)) when he's old if he doesn't drop it on his own.

Answer by missanc at 2:39 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My daughter was around 2 1/2 and she used her pacifier at night and nap time. We told her she was getting to be a big girl and didn't need the pacifier anymore and encouraged her to throw it in the garbage. After much prompting she threw it in her trash and we made sure she saw us put the bag in the outside dumpster. That night when she started to ask for it we reminded her that it was in the trash and it was gone bye-bye. She did continue to ask for it everynight for a while, but she never really cried for it we just kept reminding her that it was gone and she was a big girl and she didn't need it. Thank God that worked.
    momoftwokids547

Answer by momoftwokids547 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Delay offering it to him before bed and nap.
    Anonymous

• Well I'm afraid you'll have to go through the crying whenever you decide to take it. Whether it be now or 6 months from now. It'll take a few days to a week, before he'll give up and realize he's not getting it back. You can try having it give it to someone, a friend who has a new baby, tell him the baby needs it. Or give it to the garbage man, the mail man, or whoever. My gs gave his to HoHo aka Santa. Not that I think that was a good idea, because even now he'll tell you HoHo took his ninny. But he doesn't ask for it anymore. GL
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I started by giving her her pacifier just for nap and nighttime. Then the next step was just for nighttime and since 2 weeks she doesn't use a pacifier at all anymore.
    I thought all that would be a lot of drama and crying, but she didn't mind at all...
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 6:41 PM on Jul. 27, 2009