How do I get my cats to be more of a lap cat?

One just comes to me when he wants to be pet. The other seems to want attention, but just can't settle down and sit still.

Asked by elwalters77 at 7:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Pets

• Hope this help

The Cat Site: Cat Behavior Articles

Check on our past and present cat behavior columns for cat behavior questions and answers -. Herding Cats... At Home by Wendy Christensen ...

Answer by vbruno at 7:28 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Cats are all sooo different. They are also pretty much obstinate in their ways as well, so I don't really think that you can MAKE them into lap cats if they aren't lap cats. I had a lap cat that much preferred to be on me constantly! I loved it most of the time, BUT there are times, when you need a break ~ LOL!!!! I have a cat now that is sometimes a lap cat and then growing up my cat NOT a lap cat at all for many years. Yet, as she aged, she became a little better and decided that she would compromise and sit next to me, my mom, or whomever! So, to answer your question, I wouldn't force the issue no matter what, because that will make them even less likely to want to sit on your lap! Maybe, some reverse psychology would work better: Oh, go sit over there, I don't want you to sit on my lap!

Answer by ryleemom at 12:53 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• You can't force a cat that is not a lap cat to be a lap cat. Cats are not like dogs, they chose when and where they do things and they do them in their own sweet time.

Answer by mamaOkie at 8:34 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Cats do as the please. Some are lap cats some are not it just depends on the cat.

Answer by T.W. at 2:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2008