sir & ma'am question

my DH really like a family we know where the kids say sir/ma'am but we aren't friendly enough to ask them this... where does the line draw? I mean, kids don't call them that 24hrs a day, right? When do they use Mommy and Daddy? I am confused on how to possibly add this to our manners roster... is it just when they're in trouble? I don't get it... but I know a lot of families probably do this

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 2:01 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• my kids always call other adults sir and ma'am. And at our house we're mom and dad or sir and ma'am if they are in trouble.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:30 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• We use sir and ma'am at our house, all the time. They call me Mommy, but when they're answering a question, i like to hear "yes ma'am" I was raised this way so a lot of times, out of habit, when they're asking me a question, I respond in kind to them and my dh. I just think it's basic politeness and respect.

Answer by missanc at 2:14 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• we just do yes and no sir/ma'am. Yes mommy/daddy does not sound right...
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:18 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Teaching your children to use manners will cause no harm. Not teaching them will.
    Rule is to say Yes ma'am/sir to any adults they don't know well. If the adult says they don't have to then they should address them by "Mrs. Roster" or whatever the adults name is. When answering a question the ma'am//sir rule should always apply to anyone their senior especially teachers, pastors and so on. I
    Anonymous

• We use it. When my son is asked a question from a person, he says yes ma'am or no sir and etc. When he addresses someone he knows, it is, Mr. Name and Ms. Name. I just expect him to show respect and good manners. I don't drill him about it, but, I praise him for doing it. Having and showing good manners is a size that fits everyone. And, when I'm out and about, I say it. Thank you ma'am or no thank you...etc....etc...etc... =)
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 3:34 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My kids know to say it to other people, and they do, because other people get sticks up their asses over it. Even now as teenagers. But I didn't allow it in my home because I hate it. I feel you can be perfectly respectful with tone and attitude, and those annoying empty words are not at all necessary. 

Despite my neurotypical impairments, my kids have great manners. 

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 3:42 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• It is only used in response to questions...

me--did you clean your room
    them--yes ma'am (ok more likely, ummmmmmmm well, no ma'am)

me---would you like some more potatoes
    them---yes ma'am

See, direct response to a direct question.

Now they come up and say, "mommy can I go outside?" So no ma'am or sir there. Strangers are always sir/ma'am or Mrs/Mr/Miss so and so.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 3:44 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Both my husband and myself still use yes ma'am and no ma'am. It could be when we are speaking to strangers, friends, or parents. We both still address our parents this way, and even my husband will say yes ma'am if I ask him a question, or if I am addressing a stranger . . . Excuse me ma'am? Miss? Sir? I would much rather have someone get my attention by addressing me this way than to say, "hey you!" Even though dd is too young to use these, it will be something that we teach her by example.

2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 4:08 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I HATE being *ma'am'ed*... LOL is that a word- it looks funny written out...

I am Ms. (my birth name)... but I prefer being called by my chosen name... I don't wear my nametag at work partly cuz I don't like it when complete strangers address me by name.

My children do not use those terms.

mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 26, 2009