Do you memorize scriptures? What verses have you stored in your heart?

I was just listening to Gregg Laurie on the radio (his live Sunday morning service). He was talking about memorizing scriptures, and how we memorize so many other things, but we don't spend enough time storing the scriptures in our hearts.

"Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You." Psalm 119:11

When tempted by Satan, Jesus quoted scriptures to counter the ideas Satan was giving Him.

The word of God is such a powerful weapon, which verses do you have in your arsenal : )

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 2:09 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Oh,absolutely! I've only been a Christian a little more than 6 years,but in that time, I've studied so much,and have memorized so many verses. They are each so important to me,in a different way,and mean so much. The depths of God's love is just amazing. To give us scriptures that meet every need,answer every question,and fill every void, is well, overwhelming at times. If I listed all I have memorized, I'd use alot more space than we have here! Great post cinnamon-mom! And, I love Greg Laurie. He is so down-to-earth.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 4:34 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I have a lot memorized, but because I've been a Christian for so long and started in a stricter church I memorized in King James. Then when I changed churches I started using NIV. So when I quote scripture I get some sort of weird combination.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:26 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I have a hard time knowing the references for the verses I know.
    When I first became a Christian my church did a series on scripture memory and we were all given little packets of 25 or so short verses to memorize. I was in a teen group at the time and we all worked really hard memorizing all of those verses. There have been other times where our pastor has been preaching on a certain book or subject and has had us all memorize certain verses, we've done the lord's prayer, the beatitudes, and the armor of God that way. I've memorized a few others on my own at other times. Then I tried to memorize a whole book and failed and I haven't memorized anything sense.
    Sorry I'm not really answering your question, it's hard to come up with a list off the top of my head especially since I don't know the references.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 2:51 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I spelled Greg wrong, lol.

I have a lot of verses memorized that I don't always know the reference for, so I have need to work on memorizing the references. I want to spend more time working on committing the "Roman's Road" to memory. I used to have half the book of James memorized and even though I can't recite it anymore I still remember so much of it.

So I would like to work on learning the references, not just the words.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:34 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Yes. I have memorized Genesis chapters 1-15, Acts chapters 1-8, James, Ephesians and Hebrews (I did Bible Quiz in high school). I've also memorised large portions of other passages found in other books although the exact references escape me at the moment :-) Bible memorization was required by my high school to advance to the next grade as well as to graduate. Some of them I've memorized so long ago, they get fuzzy lol. I also memorized them in KJV which is a translation I don't read all too often any more.

Memorization was and still is important to me. I hope my son is able to put away much more scripture in his heart than I have :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:36 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• November,

When you were required to memorize was there much instruction on the meanings of the verses? I ask because my dd #1 was in AWANA from the time she was 3-6th grade. One thing I had noticed that the huge amount of verses required really prevented any study of the verses.  So now even though she can spit out many verses she doesn't really understand a lot of what they mean.  Was it that way for you?

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:46 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• This is something I am working on improving daily. I have been studying about the Holy Spirit and have learned that one of the ways the Holy Spirit works in me is through the Word of God. If you do not read His word or memorize His word it stifles the Holy Spirits work in your life and his ability to speak to you through the Word of God..........this is something I wish I knew years ago!
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I have some favorites that have stayed with me over the years although I'm not always good about remembering the exact chapter and verse. these are a few that have helped me in my Christian walk and ministering to others: I can do everything through Him who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13, "I am the ressurection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies." John 11:25 The Greatest Commandment: :Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." Matthew 22:37 and ....."Love your neighbor as yourself." Matthew 22:39
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 5:15 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Teamquinn,
    I had an interesting experience with my memorization lol. The larger passages and books were a part of Bible Quiz which I did over the course of 6 years and each quiz season lasted about 4 months. We practiced twice a week and had Bible studies at each practice as well as listened to teachings and did BIble Studies at tournaments with other teams. We competed largely against Mennonite teams so I also had the opportunity to learn how another Christian group viewed the scriptures.

Other verses and passages for school were selected by the school yearly as the theme for the school year. So our Bible classes and other school activities were set around learning the verses and the meaning in the verses.

There were times where memorization seemed like a chore to me lol. I was young and didn't see the point of it all the time (although I do now!). There was also a lot of baggage invovlved (cont)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:41 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• as my school was an inter-denominational school and whatever principle/teachers were in charge at the time and whatever their denominational views were is what was brought across to the students. Then I had a strong spiritual home life as well as a church life who taught different views and interpretations than the ones I learned in school. Sometimes it got confusing and overwhelming. I'm slowly throwing out the views and interpretations, trying to stick with what I've memorized (and continue to read) and making up my own mind about things one by one. I'm so glad they had us memorize and learn like we did...even if it was overwhelming and confusing at times :-)

I should add, my parents also punished me by making me repeatedly write Bible verses about obedience or why something I did was wrong. I memorized a lot that way too lol. I totally disagree with using the Bible as punishment (they didn't do it often though).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:49 PM on Jul. 26, 2009