Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help about tax fraud, dependents, and the law, child support too!

Here is the deal in a nut shell. My sister is 16. She has lived with her grandmother since she was 3-since her dad got custody of her from my mom (long story)>but, for the past 13 years, she has lived with her grandma. My mom pays HIM child support-he gives the grandma nothing, he claims my sister as a dependent and gets a refund. The grandma won't confront him.

He is very smart, though. He is registered to the grandmas address. I have his real address. He claims disability and claims my sister as a dependent. My mom has tried telling the Child Support agency this-but since the grandma says that he lives there-that is where the investigation ends.

What can I do? I wrote a letter to the IRS about tax fraud. Should I send it? I am tired of my mom rolling over and taking it cause she is affraid of him. I need advice on where to turn.........

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Answers (9)
  • I would consult a lawyer. It sounds to me like the grandma might be afraid of him as well. Maybe that is why she won't speak up?

    Answer by Christina807 at 3:24 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

  • Yes, thats why. And, bc "he's her baby" Its a really messed up situation that I have tried to stay out of. My mom doesn't have any money for a lawyer-but I thought that that would be the only way for her to turn. Thanks.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

  • I don't think there is anything that you can do. Even if your mom's child support payment went to your sister's grandmother instead of your sister's father, she would still have to pay child support. The only thing that might change is if the grandma decided to sue her son for child support, he would have to pay child support also, but that wouldn't change your mom's obligation.

    Is your goal to make sure that money is being used on your sister? Is it possible to hire an attorney to represent the best interest of your sister?
    How do you know that he's not paying the grandma or buying her things with his money? Is your sister going without? I think if these things can be proven, then an attorney would be a good way to go.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

  • The grandmother told my mom that she doesn't get any money from him. She called my mom saying that she needed $$ for her to get braces. Sooooooo, my mom claimed my sister on her taxes--she shouldn't have. But, she got a 3000 dollar check that she gave to her grandma for the braces. Now, her wages are being garnished by the federal government for it.

    My mom pays health insurance, and gives cash to the grandma and gives money to my sister for school clothes, etc. My mom got papers in the mail stating that HE wants to ammend the child support and he wants more $$. He lost his job recently.

    I told her she needs an attorney-she is going to try to call the Child support office in the morning.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

  • My goal is to see to it that this child support ammendment doesn't go through, and I think he owes the grandmother the tax money that she never got bc technically my sister was HER dependent, no one elses.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

  • Will the grandma write her a reciept for the money for the braces? Does your mom have reciepts for clothes that she has bought, and/or a record of the money she has paid the grandmother? She's going to have to figure out a way to hire a lawyer.
    Why hasn't your mom filed for a change of custody? Your sister could still live with her grandma and your mom could just pay her directly. She should also file forms with the IRS argueing that your sister is her dependant. The father couldn't qualify because not only is he not living in the same house hold as your sister, he doesn't pay anything to maintain her.
    I think a private investigator should be able to prove that he doesn't live with his daughter and mother, although I'm not sure how much they cost.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

  • Here's the problem, unless the grandma cooperates you will get nowhere. You can try getting a GAL for your sister, maybe if your sister tells the courts/judge that she lives with grandma and not the dad they'll listen, but there's no guarantee.

    You can write to the IRS, but it's not going to do anything. Until the grandma or your sister tattles on her dad (which they should) there's not a lot that can be done.

    Answer by Jafra_mommy at 6:32 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

  • As much as that situation sucks, that is between the grandmother and him to sort out. I would focus more on convincing the grandmother to tell the truth about where he lives, rather than writing the IRS which likely will get you the same result...nothing.

    Good luck.


    Answer by SRiveroC at 6:58 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

  • He is comitting a fraud. The lawyer is your best bet. Does your mom know this or is she out of the picture except for the money?

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:55 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.