how do you transfer a 17mos old to a big girl bed?

I have a 17 mos old that I need to go to a big girl bed, because I have 3 mos old that needs the crib, so I was wondering if anyone has any tips on this transfer. Also I dont know If I should close her door, or leave it open with a gate, If I put a gate up, our cat might go in her room, but I feel kinda bad closing the door even though I have a monitor in there. I was just hoping maybe someone had some tips that might make me feel better.

sbailey2009

Asked by sbailey2009 at 3:15 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When putting it up get her excited about it! She will be happy she can climb in and out of it and let her play around it so she gets used to it.
    At night, I shut my dd's door because otherwise when she sees me she thinks its time to get up and out! So with the door shut, she falls asleep and I go in before i go to bed and open the door so she can get me when she wakes up. My dd was 14 mos when she transfered and fell out once, the first night. But she crawled right back in and hasn't fallen since.
    GL! i hope this helps!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• having a bed that has characters on it would help a lot. my daughter has a crib that turned into a bed and HATES it. and when i was over had my sisters my daughter saw my nephews bed which was cars climbed in and went right to sleep. Also make sure it has a side so the baby doesnt fall out. i found it better to leaved the door cracked so that she knows i was out there and its ok. A lot of people say when the baby gets up put them back in the bed and eventually they will go to sleep. Others say let the kid scream and spank them and put them back. but all kids are different and believe it or not thats a big change for a baby
    Anonymous

• I agree with PP, but I'd try not to confuse her that this new bed is her new toy to jump on and play with her toys on. While you're putting it up, make it fun and let her play in the room and watch. Then I'd make it look very comfy and put a favorite stuffed animal on it. Then maybe lay on it to show her how nice and comfy it is. Throughout the day you could keep talking about how excited you are for her to sleep in her new really cool bed and get her to agree. Then by the time it's bedtime maybe give her a little more attention than usual and read her a favorite story on the bed and tuck her in when she starts looking tired.

Keep in mind that my son's not even a year yet, so everything I just said is just what I think would make HIM most comfortable with the change when it's time for us to move to a big boy bed. :]

You should let us know how it goes and good luck!
    ours

Answer by ours at 3:28 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• The first step for me was to let my DS choose his own covers for his bed (not nesseccery, but helped me). At first, I only putted my DS in his big boy bed for nap time (for around a week) and then I tried to put him down in his bed for bed time too. This worked for me pretty well. I have the door open, cuz both of my sons still wake up in the middle of the night because of bad dreams or they missing me, but they are going right back to sleep as soon as they realize I'm there. I have a safety gate at top of the stairs cuz the rooms are upstairs.
    Don't worry about the cat, she will go into her room and it should not bother your daughter. Our cat was also allowed to roam around in every room, even the kids room and she never did anything to them.
    Anonymous

• About what anon said, I agree. Unless you're cat is a hefty 25-30lbs, I wouldn't worry. My cat is SUCH a baby and probably only weighs like 5 pounds. She's always loved being in my son's room and will sleep on top of the diaper changing table haha. Your daughter is old enough to know when something is on her and will move.

BUUUT if you have a monster of a cat then I'd keep the door shut lol! I used to have a huge fatty who loved to cuddle so I'd be worried about him, but unfortunately cats can only live so long and he was 18.
    ours

Answer by ours at 3:38 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• i just got my lil man a cool bed asnd he was all excited, i felt like you about closing the dorr, so i put up a gate
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 4:08 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• This was tough for me too, so what I did was allow her to nap on the bed during the day, and she played with her toys on the bed and would just fall to sleep, so eventually she started sleeping in the bed all night. She was in a crib to toddler bed, but I bought her and her big sister 2 twin canopy beds for christmas last year, and they love them. She fell out the bed once and it scared me to death, so we went to purchase a side guard rail.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I'd put the mattress on the floor. Whatever you do buy railings.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 26, 2009