When are babies usually ready for only one nap?

My son is almost 8 months old and still takes two 2 hour naps every day. EX:

9AM-Wake up
11AM-Nap
1PM-Wake up
3PM-Nap
5PM-Wake up
8PM-Bed

When will he start to not need so much sleep? I'm not complaining, I just feel so bad when I can't plan a trip out around his naps and he gets so upset.

ours

Asked by ours at 3:16 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son sleeps just like urs and hes 8 months. my daughter is almost is 2 and will sleep only once a day. if she doesnt she wakes up at night and crys for a good while
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 3:19 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• So did your daughter start with only one nap when she turned 2 or before? I'm hoping that once he's 1 he won't need both naps anymore, but I'm a first time mommy and really have no idea.
    ours

Answer by ours at 3:23 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I feel for you. My daughter took THREE naps until she was 11 months old. It puts a cramp in your schedule, but it's better than her NOT napping. She's 13 months old and take two naps. After all the complaning I did about it, I'd kill to have her take three naps again!!!!

To maximize the time you do have between naps, have him dressed for the outing before you put him down for his nap. If he's using a bottle, have it ready for when he wakes up. If you're giving him solids, pack some portable snacks in your diaper bag. As soon as he wakes, change his diaper, feed him his bottle, then walk out the door!! You may be able to squeeze in 1.5 hours for outings between naps.
    Anonymous

• I think mine were about 18 months or so. I just went with what they seemed to need. Just remember, these years pass so quickly. Have you tried wearing him? That way he can nap while your out and about. They fall asleep so well when riding on your back.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 3:27 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Oh man 18 months? Well I do agree that it is definitely a good thing for him to be getting his rest because that means when he is actually up, he's the sweetest baby boy ever. It's just that it's summer time and he gets so grumpy when he misses a nap and then gets put in a stuffy car (I'd be too haha). I guess I'll just do what you said anon and just get everything ready before he wakes up and just leave.
    ours

Answer by ours at 3:33 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Be thankful for it now because in the not to distant future you will be wishing you weren't doing all the running around your going to be doing.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 4:32 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My daughter was probably 14 months old when she switched to one nap.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I think my kids were around 18 months old when we switched to just one nap.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:57 PM on Jul. 26, 2009