Are you still eating TUNA despite mercury warnings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Some of your answers just make me laugh but with saddness. Mercury builds up in your system. Unless you detox it keeps building and building. Ever heard of the feather that broke the camel's back? It can catch up with you later in life.
    enetsala

Answer by enetsala at 12:22 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• yes

Answer by admckenzie at 3:39 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• :( yes we are but it is soooooo good!!!

I like it (drained of course) with mustard and mayonaise and sometimes with celery...mmmm delicious!!!

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:39 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Hubby and I do several times a week....our children rarely if ever do! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:43 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Yes but not as much as I used to.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 3:47 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Yep. With dijon mustard, sweet relish, and a little mayo. Put it on toast with a layer of thin-sliced pickles—yum!
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:48 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Yes, I do love tuna but since I am pregnant, I am careful on how much I eat. I love seafood in general so I try my hardest to limit my seafood intake to at maximum once a week. I love making tuna salads and I have also found something else and it's made totally different and SOOOO yummy! I make the tuna with mayo, ranch, chicken fajita seasoning, and garlic salt. Then I make success brown rice with the same seasonings (minus the mayo and ranch) and mix it together. Its a great mix of hot and cold and its so delicious. And btw I started doing this months before I was pregnant so it's not a pregnancy craving! You can also do this with the canned chicken breast.
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 3:49 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• yes
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 4:06 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• If you get chunk light vs. albacore- you get waaay lower levels of mercury- as they use smaller fish that have been predating on other small fish so their Hg concentrates are much lower. Plus- it is cheaper!!
    As an aside- if you have a (finned) fish allergy you can often eat canned-but NOT foil pack- tuna... something about the process denatures the problem protein. My hubby has an anaphylactic allergy to finned fish (he can eat crab, shrimp etc) and was very happy to learn he can eat canned tuna!!!
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Nope. We used tinned chicken (I get it at Costco and it is not expensive)
    Tinned chicken has the same texture and very similar flavor - minus the fishiness - and is great for "tuna salad", "tuna sandwiches", "tuna casserole"

My husband actually is prevented from falling asleep if he eats tuna.

And to innocencexinxme: your baby's body probably DOES need the benefits of the Omega-3 -6 and -9 present in fish oils. Listen to your cravings.

Since contamination now makes it too hazardous to get this important nutrient from eating a lot of seafood, take fish oil capsules - make sure to get pharmaceutical-grade which has distilled out the contaminants. The Omega-3 oils are very beneficial for brain development. Check it out - borage seed & flaxseed, etc. are also sources ...

Very best wishes for a beautiful baby !!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:14 PM on Jul. 26, 2009