My 6-month old doesn't like solids

So, my son is will be 6 months old on 7/31 and we've been trying to feed him solids, but he still sticks his tongue between his lips and pushes the food out. We've tried the Gerber rice cereal to no avail, and today I tried a mashed up banana thinned with formula and he did the same thing.

I know pushing the food out means they aren't ready for solids - but seriously, he's 6 months. How long do I let him continue to do this? I'm assuming he'll eventually snap out of it and eat. Did your children do this? When did they finally start eating solids? Just wondering. Thanks.

ErinMarie123

Asked by ErinMarie123 at 4:17 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It takes them time to learn. I'd suggest keep trying every few days or maybe once a week until it seems like your LO is getting the hang of it. :] Normally at first they tend to spit out more than they actually eat. :]
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I guess he just needs to figure it out. We didn't have this problem with our first - if there was food he was ready for it, however it was coming. ;-)
    ErinMarie123

Answer by ErinMarie123 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Babies do not need solids until they are 12-18 months. Just once a week introduce him to one and if he still reacts the same no big deal. There is no harm in not being on solids. Don't push it, he'll be grown up before you know it.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• He doesn't even need it yet. Don't stress about it. If you want to keep offering it to him, just try a little every few days. There's no rush.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 5:07 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My son was the same way! Try not to stress :-) My son just turned 10 months, and would never take rice cereal or mushy baby food. He has some allergies and texture issues - he only likes crunchy things he can pick up - cheerios, and Gerber crunchies and puffs. He'll only eat a banana if he can bite into it. Your baby might be the same way! I'm OK with it since he's still a good eater with the bottle. Message me if you like - good luck!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 7:12 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Remember, nowadays, 6 mos is being considered a starting point for solids. AT LEAST 6 mos of age. He is probably not ready. If he's breast fed, he doesn't really NEED solids until a year. If formula fed, I'm not 100% sure, but I know you can wait a bit longer, closer to 8 or 9 mos, maybe even a year, but like I said, I don't know much when it comes to formula fed babies.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Elizabeth, my 3rd, has been the hardest to get to eat solids. I thought she never would. Lol. Now at 9 months she loves her solids!!! I just offered her 2 or 3 bites every time we sat down for a meal. I never tried more then that since she didn't like them. I don't know how long it took, but now (3 months later) she is doing great!! Also she does not like fruits at all. She much prefers veggies. She did much better when I offered her a veggie rather than rice or fruit. (It's worth a try!)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:10 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Amazingly, for a 6 month old, my daughter is a fiend with her solids! I think it has to do with how our family always tries to eat together for breakfast & dinner, [if the schedules are alighned right ] so it maybe a socialization thing for some babies? She always sits with us whenever we have a meal together.
    lcervant

Answer by lcervant at 10:40 AM on Jul. 27, 2009