Just curious, what age did you let your child bike ride in the neighborhood without an adult?

lovemydivas

Asked by lovemydivas at 4:58 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son is 10 and I just started letting him ride to school with a friend. The school is about a 15 minute walk. They have very precise times to be home if they go up there to play and it's rare.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 5:01 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• my son is not old enough yet, but im only 22 and when i was a kid, i was riding my bike around my neighborhood with my friends when i was 8
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:10 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• PURPULbutterfly: When I was little and I'm 30 now, we were out running the neighborhood at 7 and 8 years old. Don't get me wrong, then every family knew each other. But, you had better be home or at least in your own yard when the street lights came on. If not, you were in some serious trouble. LOL But, now, where my sister lives, my nephew, who is 10, and my daughter, who is 6, are aloud to ride around the block, TOGETHER. They must check in every time they make it back to the house. Though normally, an adult is sitting on the porch. Now, where I live, my daughter doesn't leave our yard. If she does, it's with my husband or I. I guess it all depends on the kind of neighborhood you live in and what you're comfortable with.
    emmasmommy2007

Answer by emmasmommy2007 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• LOL well back in the 70's I was 8-10 yrs. old  but now a days I don't let my kids do what I use to do it was alot safer back then.

But if we did live in a perfect world...I would have to say the same age.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 5:41 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• See, when we lived in Germany, my dss was 6 and 7 and allowed to ride around the neighborhood. Here, in the middle of nowhere, they can ride down our backroad when they learn to ride better. My 7 yr. old still doesn't ride his bike well, so it doesn't matter for him.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 5:57 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My kids are only allowed on our block right now. They are 9, almost 8 and 6 1/2. They ride corner to corner on our block but I'm considering letting them go further. I started riding around out neighborhood when I was about 9 and it was a pretty crappy neighborhood, not as nice as this one.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:57 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• About age 7, but we live very isolated, and everyone in town knows each other and their kids.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:39 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I let the older ones ride down to check to see if the pool is open once they turned 11 (they had to come right back though and it is only about 2 blocks away). My younger ones (7 & 8) can only ride around the block if I'm out on the porch. We live in a pretty nice neighborhood though.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:30 PM on Jul. 26, 2009