I'm so proud (bragging haha)!

My almost 8 month old has FINALLY gotten used to his sippy cup. I tried a bunch of things, but what ended up working was giving him most of his formula in his bottle so that he wasn't completely starving when I gave him the last ounce in the sippy cup. It was a hard couple weeks but today since everything was going well, I just decided to give him the sippy cup with everything in it. He took it without even thinking!

When did you switch your little one to a sippy cup? I decided to do it earlier so that it was easier and lately he's more interested in food anyway.

ours

Asked by ours at 5:02 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i started both my kids ay 6 months, they loved them and had no problems
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 5:04 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Oh and lately he'll only drink 5-6oz at feedings. Is this bad? I don't give him any water during the day or any other liquid. He's still eating the same only he's getting a couple bites of what mom or dad are eating at lunch or dinner. I know formula's important, but he just doesn't seem as interested and just wants his food.
    ours

Answer by ours at 5:07 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• When we saw doc @ 9 months (will be 1 in a couple weeks) They told me LO should get around 20-24 oz. a day. My LO doesn't drink that much either. She would much rather eat what I'm eating, but it's very important that they get those nutrients that only milk or formula has. So if LO is only eating 4-5oz (like mine does) at a time, that's ok, just make sure it's at least 3 or 4 times a day or more. For instance; one with breakfast, one before morning nap, one around snack time (between lunch and dinner), and then one for bed time. That's about what I do. She doesn't always eat it all but at least I make the effort. :)
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 5:16 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• i introduced a sippy cup to my DD at 4 months just letting her see it and play with it. (she was ahead of the game and had already been sitting unassisted) I only give her water. She never took a bottle and is still breastfed. She was an expert by 5-5.5 months or so. She can also drink from a straw really well from a young age. I love that i never had to go to a bottle and worry about then taking it away.
    Anonymous