Does it really happen or just say it to scare us?

Does your kid really come out disabled if you drink Alcohol? They warn us and scare us about everything but does it really happen? They say even smocking crack during pregnancy is better than drinking Alcohol, is it that bad?(BY THE WAY I DONT SMOKE ANYTHING) I drink from time to time and doctor said is all fine but friends say doctors cant see their brain cells on the sonogram. I got super drunk last night drinking hennessy and 151. I think my kid is going to come out retarted and now my babys father is pissed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• shruggingThat is kind of funny! I just saw your question in a link at the bottom of another page. I was not surprised to see so many responses already. moms on here are so very judgemental. i got drunk maybe 3 times during my pregnancy. it is not a big deal IMO. and on other occasions i would have a glass of wine or 2 with dinner. i also smoked cigs. and marijuana throughout my entire pregnancy. my son was born at average or above average weight at birth and is still 1 year l8r very kealthy and easy-going. some would say i got lucky, but you never know!

truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 8:20 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• i think it's going to come out mentally challenged too for one it can come out alcohol dependent and that makes it even worse you shouldnt of been drinking at all i think you may be a little retarded whats more important you getting drunk or having a healthy baby if you couldnt stop partying for 10 months you shouldnt be having sex or any children !
    your a dumbass
    Anonymous

• Google Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and decide for yourself. Gees.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 5:12 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My answer is why risk it? You're making life-long decisions for the welfare of another human being. The least a good mommy can do is to stay far away from anything suspected of harm.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 5:12 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Yes and it is called alcohol syndrome and they are not sure how much it takes. I would be scared too and feel very guilty that your baby could have to grow up for the rest of his/her life because of your selfishness. It can also cause deformity. I am pretty sure your doc meant light drinking not getting shit faced drunk! How far along are you anyway?
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 5:12 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Wow how selfish can one person be that they can't even give up drinking when they are pregnant? SERIOUSLY?!
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 5:14 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• IF there is any chance that anything could happen why even risk it. Your child is depending on you to be healthy so it can grow healthy. The baby's father can actually file a complaint against you and if anything was to go wrong it could be used against you. You should do the right thing and go to the doctor and discuss this with your doctor. Do the right thing and don't do it again.
    Anonymous

• a glass of wine every so often is okay, getting shitfaced isnt
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 5:14 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Alcohol, even for adults, kills brain cells. You are born with a finite number at birth, and they die due to differentiation and abuse. Once you lose them, you lose them.

Alcohol exposure in utero subjects the growing fetus to abuse before the cells can fully differentiate. In humans, evidence indicates it can take up to 22 years for the brain to fully mature. By exposing your baby to alcohol, you are potentially limiting the baby's ability to learn, but also to do anything the brain is meant to do-- both automatic functions (like breathing, regulating bodily functions) and purposeful functions such as reading, muscle movements, etc.

I have not heard that exposure to other illicit drugs do not affect-- -I just don't think there is the breadth of research. Considering, however, the effect such drugs have on adults, I can only imagine it's much worse for a growing fetus.

You need help.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 5:17 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• no, you don't think, that is the problem
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 5:19 PM on Jul. 26, 2009