How do I get my screaming 2 yr old (almost 3) to bed?

She is going to be 3 in august. We live in a one bedroom appartment and she has a crib in the living room with the side down, with one of those safety sides, so she can get in and out. She goes to bed at 8pm. She enjoys tubby time, and story time and cuddling, but she fights me to put on her pj's and brush her teeth. She screams and throws and fit. I have to physically put her in her bed and sometimes have to put and chair at the opening of her bed to keep her in. She still screams and cries for hours and hours somtimes until 11:30pm. (I've tried leaving her alone, i've tried staying with her at intervals). I've tried music, singing to her, stories, its not even like i'm leaving the room, even if i'm not sitting right next to her, i'm 5 feet away from her watching tv or doing homework. this has been going on since birth PLEASE HELP MY INSANITY!!!!

CassieRoseB

Asked by CassieRoseB at 7:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Why do you want her to go to bed so early. SHe's not a school aged child, she doesn't have anything to do the next morning. Let her stay up with you and entertain herself. Since you stay in a one bedroom apartment then it's prolly hard to go sleep with other people moving around. Do not try to make her go to sleep when you are awake. You should go to sleep at the same time. When she's old enough to understand the importance of bedtime then explain it to her. Right now she's confused to why mommy gets to stay up and she can't
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 7:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Mabe she feels like she needs a bit of independence?? Have you tried getting her a toddler bed she can get in and out of on her own.? I have one for my daughter who will be 3 next month..She would do the same thing and i just said forget it...and after the bath, brushing and p.j.s we would sit on the couch watch some tv and she would go to sleep there...Then a bit later i would move her to her bed..Now she just says mom I'm tired and goes to her bed when she is ready to sleep. Sometimes she won't go to be until 9:00 or a bit later..I hope it helps..
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 7:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Oh she also has to have a cup of milk before she goes to bed...
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 7:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

emturner

• How about a bed in your room? Maybe you being five feet away from her is the distraction???
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 8:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• well, she is in day care full time cause i work, so she has to go to bed early, so i can study cause i also go to school. So haven't her stay up late isn't really practical for me. plus, even when its late and i go to bed at the same time as her she still screams until she goes to sleep. but thank you.
    and she has the side of her crib down so she can get in and out of her crib, so thats not really it either. but thanks any way.

And lastly, there is no room in my bedroom for her bed, and my boyfriend lives with us too. but thanks for your help

any other suggestions? Please?
    CassieRoseB

Answer by CassieRoseB at 8:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Can you put up a room divider so she has her own "space"? You're a distraction to the process of her falling asleep if you're right there where she can see.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 8:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Hey that is a great idea,about the room divider, although i don't know where i would get one of those, and is it expensive? also, the problem isn't just getting her to sleep, its the act of getting her into her bed, just the words, bedtime, make her scream and throw and tantrum!
    CassieRoseB

Answer by CassieRoseB at 9:52 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• You can also use Benedryl. I know that's not what you want to do but it can be used in really hard cases to train a child to go to sleep. Give it to her about an hour before bed each night for a week. Let her get used to going to sleep without screaming-you may have to give it to her earlier. After a week try it without the Benedryl and see how she does. You may have to use it off and on for a little bit to show her how nice it can be to go to sleep peacefully. It's non-addictive and safe if you use the right amount. I wish you well.
    jackimci

Answer by jackimci at 1:11 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• You can sometimes find them at WalMart or garage sales. Or, you could use eye hooks and wire on the ceiling and drape down a sheet or curtain. That might actually be helpful so you can move it out of the way during the day.

My boys walk themselves to bed when I say "night night time" a little after 8pm. It's the routine. I let them wind down before bed, so it's not an abrupt change. Maybe she's not that sleepy at the time you want her to go down? Good luck!
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2008