Someone please explain where Cain, Abel, and Seth's wives came from??

I'm just trying to understand, because I've read the Bible, and it makes no mention of where their wives come from! If Adam and Eve were the first people, and it only mentions Cain, Abel and Seth, were their wives also their sisters? And isn't incest bad? I'm very confused about this! Does faith mean to believe something that makes no sense or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:32 PM on Aug. 21, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• OK first off Eve came from ADam's rib so they would share the same genes, and while they may have been "perfect beings" before "sin" entered the world their children certainly weren't. With each succesing generation of the children mating (and passing down genetic flaws) the statistical probability of a children being born with a genetic mutation would be greater than being born without, thus ending in the severe deterioration and eventual extinction of the human species.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2008

• Yes, faith means to believe something that makes no sense.

I've always wondered where they came from too!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:43 PM on Aug. 21, 2008

• Can you please get on a religion chat website? This is not the place
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Aug. 21, 2008

• How is this not the place? It's a question about religion in an area of cafemom designed specifically for religious questions!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Aug. 21, 2008

• As gross as it sounds, yes their wives had to be sisters. But, you have to remember ~ even though incest is bad (to us) how else were they supposed to populate the earth? The incest God really had a problem with back then was between father and daughter. And...if you really want to get technical, we are all related really. Adam was the 1st father. So.... =)

And yes, sometimes having faith means you believe something even though you can't understand it. Just think ~ if you could explain God fully, would you want him to be your God? To understand him makes him just like me. I'd rather have a huge, mighty, and somewhat confusing God to worship.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 5:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2008

• Answered at 5:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2008 by: lifeofchaois
    lifeo...
    As gross as it sounds, yes their wives had to be sisters

If this were th case the human species would not have survived due to the number of genetic mutations that would have taken place from each succeeding generation
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:56 PM on Aug. 21, 2008

• I'm not going to debate the Bible with anyone. I believe what I believe and that's it for me. Scripture says God created one man and one woman and through them populated the earth. I trust and believe God so in MY OPINION what He says is Truth.

This woman asked a question and I answered it from my beliefs. God is bigger than science or any of us. If he wanted a population than he got it by making sure there weren't any mutations involved.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 6:18 PM on Aug. 21, 2008

• And I'm sorry but KristiS11384 ~ you have labeled yourself as an atheist which is fine. I don't care. What I do get tired of is how you troll these religious posts and questions and try to plant seeds of doubt or even begin arguments. You don't believe in religion so you shouldn't be here.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 6:20 PM on Aug. 21, 2008

• Actually, I don't want to get involved with a debate about the bible, but I believe (and this could be wrong, cause it's been awhile since I studied genetics), that if people's genetic pattern is "clean" then incest wouldn't create problems. It is only when there are recessives for certain problems that are reinforced because there are no alternatives that problems arise. If there is nothing "wrong" or "hiding" in a person's genetic pattern, problems won't suddenly appear in offspring. Mutations are not related to incest, but rather are a common occurance in reproduction (hence evolution, if you are a believer in that). But like I said, it's been awhile since I studied genetics.
    b_cheerful

Answer by b_cheerful at 6:25 PM on Aug. 21, 2008

• I have the same right to be here as you do. Don't like it then stick to your church and don't come to PUBLIC forums! I am sharing my belief which does not include god just as you are sharing yours which does. Get over it!
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:25 PM on Aug. 21, 2008