How do I get my eight year old Boy to cut his hair?

With all the new long hair styles, I need help.
It looks messy and he won't let anyone put anything in it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I would say find some pictures of cool, longer styles that actually have some Style to them and show him the pictures. Get him excited about a cool new look for school. Tell him that you are going to get his hair cut and he needs to pick one of the pictures to show the hairstylist. Make sure you pick several styles that he might like that you can live with too! If he objects nicely tell him that it isn't up for discussion, that he needs a hair cut but that you want to make sure he is happy with what he gets.
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 5:31 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• the same way you get an 8yo to do anything..you do it. you're the parent!
    seriously, some boys don't like product in their hair, they'd rather it be free and easy. they think products are for girls...and who can blame them, huh? try taking him to a male stylist who's hair is longer also..he might get influenced on a better cut (some layers or better shaping) and possibly 1 product, if he is taught by someone he thinks is cool, or on the same page as he.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 5:31 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Sometimes you have to choose your battles. As long as he keeps it clean and free of knots, and it is not in violation of school policy, I don't know where the problem lies. At some point, a girl that he is crushing on will tell him that it looks stupid, and he will beg you to take him for a hair cut.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:58 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I hate all that "you're the parent" crap when it comes to things as trivial as a hair cut. He is eight, he should be able to choose how he wants to wear his hair as long as it is clean and not violating school rules.
    You can always give him a choice, like he needs to take better care of it or get it cut. Either way, let him choose the cut and style.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:04 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• It is his hair. I have a teen with long hair. Our rule is take care of it properly or it gets cut. I understand it can be very frustrating, but ultimately it is his responsibility.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 5:44 AM on Jul. 27, 2009