Amish Friendship Bread

I got a recipe for Amish Friendship Bread. It is a chain recipe, just like a chain letter, someone has to give you a starter batch, it takes 10 days to complete the whole recipe, each day u do something to it. Seems like a lot but it is worth it. BTW you can not start a batch by yourself you have to be given one by someone else's batch, only the Amish have the original recipe. Before you actually bake it you have to separate it into four more batches and hand them out to your friends. The bread comes out really good. Just wondering if anyone of you moms had tried it? I am in California, where are you?

sylvia-ann

Asked by sylvia-ann at 5:25 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Im in California too. My Aunt made it for my family about a month ago. It was really good. I've never made it though. I also didnt know you had to seperate the dough and hand it out.. thats cool
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 5:28 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I'v had that given to me at Christmas and yes I got to share of with my friends. Very good bread! Greetings from Colorado ( ski country)
    comalita

Answer by comalita at 6:02 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I loved it. I haven't had it for years!! I made muffins out of it. You can add chocolate chips and stuff to make it different each time! Unfortunately, I'm in Michigan and can't get any from you!! LOL!

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:47 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• It is good, but it gets to a point that you have more starter than you can use- you've given it away to everybody who will take it. I tried cutting back on the amount of ingredients to make less, and also refrigerating to slow it down, and in the end just tossed it. It is fun, though, so if you've never made it you should do it just for the experience of it.

Answer by Bmat at 10:25 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• maybe that's why mine sucked, I used the recipe and made it myself. I must have screwed something up or I just didn't have the Amish gods bless it.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:06 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I'm originally from Pennsylvania and had it years ago. It is rather yummy. What God do you think the Amish worship?
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:02 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My mother tried making it from scratch herself, but from what I can figure, you really can't unless you have the starter that has the yeasts in it. I don't know if you could use regular bread yeast.

Answer by Bmat at 3:29 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I have no problem making my own starter if I need to. I have never made the same recipe twice. I have done some apple,pumpkin, cherry, banana, rum flavores. I use whole wheat flour, I have used butter milk and whey intead of milk. I have added left over flax cereal and oatmeal. I reall like it!!!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:01 AM on Jul. 28, 2009