• In the Spotlight:

what would you think about a parent who....

what would you think of parents who ;

woke there baby up every 2-3 hours just to eat up until about 8-9 months? ( no medical reason)

who at almost 14 months they havent even attempted cup use ( he is not breastfed)?

who was never even tried tummy time with?

who just learned to sit up 2 weeks ago?

who never is put down to play, and is always either in the highchair or his crib?

who can not walk, or even try to walk because he is never put down or even to crawl and who is very much over weight?

sharisse

Asked by sharisse at 5:26 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If this is your child, then you need to re-analyze your parenting BIG TIME. If it's not your child then you either want to help or you just want to judge. What I think doesn't matter. What is done for the child is whats important!!!
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 5:32 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• no its not my child, its a neighbor and when i go over there i make sure i play with him and attempt to teach him stuff with the little bit of time i have with him and the parents niece who babysits sometimes always makes sure to let him play on the floor
    sharisse

Answer by sharisse at 5:42 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• i'd say child's parents dont know what they're doing. tummy time is important. are they seeing a dr? i'd say this situation is very suspicious. at 14 months they should be walking, or at least attempting if nothing else. why aren't they put down to play?? kids need to learn play, it helps them play out situations and with brain development. something needs to be done now, i dont see this child developing "normally"
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 5:44 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• is there some medical condition not yet diagnosed??
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• if there is a medical condition, they will never know because he doesnt get a chance to be a normal 14 m old
    sharisse

Answer by sharisse at 5:50 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I think your judging. Maybe their is a medical reason. You are not aware of. It is sad if truly the baby is neglected. I new a baby who didn't walk until 18 months. It was because at her shots at 8 months she had a virus and getting the shots seriously damaged her muscles in her legs. They found that out with a specialist later on.
    Anonymous

• even if he had a problem they wouldnt know... they dont let him try anything and im not kidding..the other day they sat him in his HC for 3 hours then right to the crib for a movie
    sharisse

Answer by sharisse at 5:58 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• i was going 2 answer this on your other post but wanted 2 do it anonymously. so here i am! i had a "friend" stay with me about a year ago, & she had a little boy. he was ALWAYS in his carseat. he slept there, ate there, and "played" there. i felt so bad for this little boy! all he would ever get was a bottle of milk & itty bitty pieces of food. so whenever i got the chance i would step in & care for him. I put him in my sons highchair & fed him infant otemeal with baby food mixed in. for lunch & dinner he would get the same food as my son, just smaller pieces. made sure that he had fruits & veggies with him meal. i would put him on the floor with my son hopeing he would copy what my son was doing. my son is a yr older than him, but by his first bday he wasnt crawling yet or sitting by himself. he was also very thin cause like i said she would only give milk. when she moved out i felt really bad. luckly CPS took her kids away!
    Anonymous

• Just a thought, but it could be a cultural thing too. Some cultures "baby" their babies much longer than we do. These babies don't reach some of the gross motor milestones when they should compared to American babies. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to do that, just different than what we are used to. If given the opportunity to "practice" these skills, they typically catch up very quickly. This baby wouldn't be so overweight if allowed a little more exercise by practicing these skills.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• OMG this sounds like my SO cousin but another thing she does the puts him in his car seat buckles it and leave him there she never lets him do anything. Let say he wants to crawl on the floor and play she yells at him and makes it a big deal i feel SOOOO bad for this little boy but i dont no if there is anything i could do besides interact with him when im there.
    kahlynsmommy1

Answer by kahlynsmommy1 at 1:53 AM on Jul. 28, 2009