I was thinking about relativism . . .

What do you think?

Do you believe all truth is relative and that there are no absolute truths?

What do you think of the statement: "What is true for you is not true for me."

I personally don't believe in relativism (as most of you probably know already, lol) And I don't want to argue at all, I promise.

I just wanted to hear your reasons for and against this idea that has totally dominated our post-modern thinking : )

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 5:35 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You can't logically argue against the existence of absolute truth. To argue against something is to establish that a truth exists. You cannot argue against absolute truth unless an absolute truth is the basis of your argument.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:09 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Personally I think there are very few absolute truths in the world.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 5:55 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I personally do believe in relativism, and here is why

=)

bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:09 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I agree with anetrnlov
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 6:09 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• What things do you think are absolutely true?
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:36 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I believe that there are and logically must be absolute truths. Even the statement "there is no absolute truth" IS in itself an absolute truth.

However, I do not believe that any one human being knows what they all are, what most of them are or even has the known absolute truths down pat 100% perfectly. This is why relativism has value; when an absolute truth is disputed over or can't be determined, we take the individual and their needs and feelings into account. I do believe that relativism alone is a flawed moral code. If we were all governed by personal truths and no others, we'd be unable to make laws or keep people from harming each other and society on the basis that "well, it's right to them so we can't say it's wrong." If I had to pick a moral code aside from Christianity, I would be Deontology and not relativism. Relativism has too many inconsistencies and loopholes.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:39 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Death is an absolute truth, we all die.
    I believe the world ending is an absolute truth, the details surrounding that I do not believe are absolute.
    Be back when I come up with more. lol
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 7:01 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Thank you, anetrnlov : ) I am going to go to church now and I won't be back home till 9:30 CA time so I won't be online till then.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:02 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• ihartu..are you sure you're an atheist? (lol..sorry, my odd sense of humor/sarcasm, again.)

"To argue against something is to establish that a truth exists. You cannot argue against absolute truth unless an absolute truth is the basis of your argument. "
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:22 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Do you believe all truth is relative and that there are no absolute truths?>>>> there are Laws in science.. tried and tried again, that prove to be true.. you have to have objective evidence to call something true. Subject evidence, although compelling, isn't truthful. Just an opinion which may or may not be correct. Such as the subject of God... any evidence you have, that makes you believe in him is subjective. (sorry, not trying to bash on your, just using an example that is relevant to this section).

What do you think of the statement: "What is true for you is not true for me.">>>>

I can both agree and disagree with this statement. I can agree when it's a topic without any real objective proof. ex. "chocolate is the greatest" would be an example that would prove this statement correct (what is true for you, is not true for me).. but something like ex. on December 22, 2007, my daughter's weight was 7lbs 6oz. Cont.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:25 PM on Jul. 26, 2009