does it sound like this baby was starved??

"Someone once told me fat babies are healthy. What a bunch of crap. Babies are humans just like adults. Fat is not healthy. My daughter was 10lbs at 5 months old. She gained about 1lb. a month until then. Then she stayed like that for the longest time and finally weighed 13lbs at 1 year old. She's very tiny all the way around. Now she's 2.5 and 20lbs and 31 inches. "

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 10 POUNDS AT 5 MONTHS? THAT DOESNT SOUND RIGHT AND CERTAINLY NOT HEALHTY! SORRY
    TIKIMEMS

Answer by TIKIMEMS at 9:27 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Ummmmmmm I had a fat baby I would pick fat over tiny malnutrition looking baby anyday. Considering my son is her age and weighs 12 pounds more than she does, I'd say she needs a few cheeseburgers.
    ShoesRLove

Answer by ShoesRLove at 5:42 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My goddaughter is 33 inches, and 33 pounds at 2.5 but I think it would depend on the frame of the girl. It may be she is just tiny- its hard to tell from just numbers honestly. Everyone's body type is different.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 5:42 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• well i guess it just depends on the child. each child is different just like each adult. a healthy weight for one person is an unhealthy weight for another. it does not sound like a child that got alot to eat at all though, my babies are both chubby little butts, my son, too soon to tell how that will work, but my daughter, is all muscle on her legs and arms and just has a little preschooler pudge left on her tummy that is slowly going away as she gets taller
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:42 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• hey anon fat babies can be healthy im a pedi nurse and plenty PLENTY of fat babies are normal size kids and teens and adults, learn your facts before speaking , 13lbs at a year old is like extreme tiny my 7 month old is 30 inches and 16lbs , as long as your feeding your child when she is hungry and not holding back to make sure she stays tiny then no ur fine but if your limited nutrition to keep her tiny id suggest a good therapist
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 5:43 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• She does seem pretty small, but I know the frustration of having a smaller child. My DD was 10lb 2oz when she was born, then at 17 months old still only weighed about 17lbs. We had to go back for weight checks every 6 wks, and I had to hear crap about her being small. She was walking at 9 months, (climbing up shelves @7mo) and ate a ton! She just has good metabolism. She will be 4 in December and she is just under 30lbs now, she is in the 12% for her weight. Still very active and still eats alot. My 5 yr old wieghs 38lbs, and my 2yr old weighs 26lbs. With all the childhood obesity, you would think it would be good to have smaller kids who are healthy!!!! Outrageous to me!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 5:44 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My baby was born 11 lbs and she is now 12 months and weighs 19 lbs. She is extrememly healthy and Dr's see no concern for her weight not being well into the 20's. she eats a ton, sometimes more than i do. Every child is different but you're child does seem a bit on the low side. If she is healthy then that's great but just be sure there are no underlying causes for such low weight.
    Anonymous

• thats really small. my son is 8 months old, and he is 23 lbs and 33 inches tall. Hes a very healthy baby. i agree, she needs a cheeseburger!
    Anonymous

• 31 inches and 20lbs sounds just fine...my son is 36 inches and 30lbs...so no, she sounds as if she got fed fine.

like a pp said, it depends on the structure of the child. my son was 10lbs 5oz 22inch when he was born, and he was never "fat". to this day, he eats 3 meals a day, and 1 snack.

My dd, however, i fed her just like i fed my ds, and she's a chunky monkey lol. she also eats 3 meals a day, with a snack.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My daughter is 22 months 37 inches tall and 31 lbs. Your baby is very small but if the doc is not worried then y would u be? What exactly is the point of ur post?
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 5:50 PM on Jul. 26, 2009