Freezing breastmilk in glass

I have started to pump inbetween feedings and would like to store in glass. I despise plastic. I know that I need to allow for headspace when freezing, but are there any other tips? How long can I refridgerate before freezing?

Kristin216

Asked by Kristin216 at 5:51 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have used sterile milk bags, but they were plastic, and recycleable, but mostly i used reusable plastic bottles specifically for freezing milk i got from the hospital NICU since my daughter was in the NICU for 2 months after birth, don't know about freezing glass, even if u leave headroom for expansion i would think that it could still expand outward therefore stressing the glass to break, but i'm not certain, the NICU told me u can refrigerate it for up to 4 months and freeze for 6 months, not sure about going from frig to freezer though, to be safe i would only do it up to 4 months if going from frig to freezer
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 6:05 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I wouldnt freeze glass it would probobly crack...
    Why not use plastic storage bags and then put them in glass bottles for feedings?

Milk can be in the fridge for about 5 days, but Im sketchy and don't let it sit in there for more than 2.
    Sometimes it takes me 2 days to pump enough for a bag to freeze so It will be in the fridge that long before freezing.
    It can be in the freezer for like 6 months, but I always use mine before then.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 6:48 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I used bags too but I wanted to say that you can't refrigerate BM for more than 3 days. You can store it in a regular freezer for 4 months, a deep freezer for 6 months. As far as headroom, I would think 1/4 inch should be sufficient, that is what you need for freezing anything else.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 6:49 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I think freezing it in glass would be fine but wanted to share this: http://www.sensiblelines.com/shop.html. Then you dont have to worry about wasting all that plastic. I think you could just use a plain old ice cube tray too!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 7:00 PM on Jul. 26, 2009