Does Mirena prevent you from losing weight?

I have the mirena and i have been working out for 2 months now. INTENSELY. My belly hasn't changed AT ALL, its big and flabby. I hate it, i think its because of the mirena. Has anyone ever gone through this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I thought the same thing..
    but I been working out for 13 weeks and only lost 17lb and I think If I didnt have this in me I would have lost alot more!
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 6:17 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• No the Mirena doesn't affect weight loss in fact I gained a lot of the weight back after I had it taken out and the dr said it was due to my cycle returning. My dr told me when I first got the Mirena to drink a lot of water and eat natural duretics like celery and this will help flush out any bad toxins in the fat cells and will increase weight loss. In fact I'm having another one put in next month and am hoping I'll lose the weight again.
    Konchoswoman

Answer by Konchoswoman at 1:16 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• American's are overweight because of poor eating habits, not because of a lack of exercise.

Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 6-7 servings of whole grains a day.
    Replace meat and dairy with bean, lentils and tofu (all loaded with calcium and iron)

Answer by rkoloms at 10:05 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• i had many many MANY problems with mirena and will NEVER EVER get another one of those things. i had acne problems when i've NEVER had them before, my tubes felt like they were constantly on fire, i had 2+ ovarian cysts rupture in a month that sent me to the ER in terrible pain, my moods were so bad my husband & i almost split up bc of it, i was depressed & i had NEVER dealt with that before, i didn't lose ANY baby weight and i was 108 before i got pregnant, i actually gained weight and i ate very healthy. do a LOT of research on mirena. i found pages after pages of women having the same issues as i was and their dr told them they were just crazy. when i had mine removed within 48 hrs i started feeling human again
    RAGUmomof2

Answer by RAGUmomof2 at 10:58 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• No. I never had a problem losing weight with Mirena. Now the shot is another story.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 1:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2009