What did your child have to learn before they attended kindergarten?

Is it true that kids have to know how to spell their names and 12 letters of the alphabet and all these other random things before they're allowed to attend school? I thought you went to school to learn how to spell your name...I'm terrified that my daughter will be learning algebra in first grade or something by the time she's old enough to go.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 6:54 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• my boy is more than ready to start. he has 2 years of preschool, plus i am a maniac about teaching him stuff, he learn so easy and he actually wants to learn. im not sure about the requierments, but im sure theres a info somewhere. good luck
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 7:30 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• you should call the school to get info on requirements . . you may be working yourself up over nothing . . but I do encourage you to work with your daughter teaching her the alphabet, numbers, and her name . . every little bit you can do at home helps the teacher at school . .

BeautifulMomof1

Answer by BeautifulMomof1 at 7:34 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Honestly you aren't far off with the algebra thing.. By the end of elem. school 4-5 th grades, they are learning it. Trust me.

When my DD went, she had to print her name, know her alphabet, count to 20, open a milk carton, ketchup and utensil packets, tie shoes, zip zippers, button buttons, and more. Honestly there was an actual list a full page, long those are just the ones I can remember. Knowing some sight words helps too.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 8:01 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• It depends on the school. Some schools require children to be able to read as a condition of admittance. Check with your local school authority.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:02 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Mine didn't need to know anything (and that was at 2 different schools in 2 different states, one private and one public). They just had to be 5 by a certain day.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:12 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• No, they can not refuse a child. They have a right to an education. Now, I work for a school district and I have heard from teachers that they "appreciate" when a child goes in knowing colors, letters and how to write their name and count. Remember, Kindergarten IS NOT a requirement. I know this because I stupidly enrolled my son a year late. (he was going to turn 6 in October that year, the girl asked me if I wanted him to go straight into 1st grade and I was like what?! No, he needs kindergarten and off he went.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 9:16 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Before I went into kindergarden, (this was 25 years ago) I knew how to count to 20, write my name and read. So I don't know what the kids have to know now. My three year old can count to 10 and say his ABC's. I hope he will be ready in 2 years! Just teach your kid all you can before hand? If you don't challenge them, you don't know what they are capable of.
    Anonymous

• Call the school and find out what they would like the child to know. A school CANNOT deny your child an education because they don't know what the school wants. Kindergarten is a time for basics and for socialization. It is a good idea for the child to know and recognize the alphabet, basic colors, shapes, number 0-10, and write their name properly (NOT all caps though. They should write it S u z y not S U Z Y). It is really important that they can survive the day without mom, that they get along with others and can share. Tying shoes, zippering, doing buttons are all a big help. Toileting all on their own is a HUGE one, they must even be able to wipe on their own and change their clothes in case of an accident.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:28 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Can she say her alphabet or recognize upper case letters? Can she count to 10? Can she hold a pencil/crayon? Don't worry about it, it'll come along but be prepared she'll have homework. If you work on the name writing and letter writing, she'll have a huge leg up. It''s gonna be fine.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:10 PM on Jul. 26, 2009