• In the Spotlight:

I'm Very Confused about the Vaccination vs Autism topic.

I am behind on my getting my sons shots due to $ reasons and now that we're doing better financially I want to take him in to get updated (he's still under 2) But i've been hearing so much about a possible link between vaccinations and autism. From what I hear back in the day it was 1 in ever 10,000 who had it but it has skyrocketed to 1 in every 300-600 kids. What's the deal with that. I'm scared now, with all these kids being diagnosed with Autism or ADHD...pls someone tell me, am I supposed to not get my child vaccinated or just ask for a specific kind of vaccination? I am really confused, I want to do what's best for my little one and if there is a problem with the vaccines, I don't want to be guilty of putting that on my child.

jennmdlc

Asked by jennmdlc at 7:11 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I totally understand your dilemma.... I went back and forth and agonized over it. At this point, my daughter is 2 1/2 and she is up to date on all vaccines except MMR. I'm still researching it, and have just put it off because at this point, we have the luxury of waiting. She is not in day care and really isn't around other people that much except when we go shopping. Her doctor is very helpful and understanding, and has given me lots of great information and resources to continue my search for the answer to "what is right". As a mother, I applaud you for wanting to do what's best for your child. The fact that you are debating it shows just how much you love him. Good luck :)
    mugsysmommy

Answer by mugsysmommy at 9:21 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• You should talk to your pedi. I think they would have the knowledge to answer your questions. All you will get here is answers from people who don't have or wont believe the real factsone way or another.
    Anonymous

• ok well heres my opinion, the reason autism and adhd are diagnosed more now, is that doctors know what they are looking for and look earlier. as far as a link between autism and vaccinations, i know of a few studies that said there was a link, but then later the studies were reversed. i don't know anyone who has one of these, and has absolute proof that the result is from vaccines, in fact most of the kids i know with these, did not get vaccinated. not saying that means anything, just that i've never seen it. if you want facts though, you need to do some sort of google search and do the research yourself, b/c here you are just going to get everyones opinion on what they feel is best for their child. both my kids have all their vax's and will continue to get them.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:28 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• the vax that scared a lot of peole is the mmr it once contained mercury in small amounts - however it no longer does - it has been proven that thereis no link between it and autism - and the vax company will no longer be making it seperate because it has been sooo studyed and proven that there is no link
    there will allways be people that disagree - but their children are at risk for SERIOUS life threatening diseases when not vax
    talk to the ped
    but i say get ur baby vax and read the info sheets they give you on the vax
    :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:07 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• work in a pediatric office, and I can tell you that all 8 doctors that work at my office strongly recommend getting your child vaccinated and every one of them have vaccinated their children As said before MMR was the vaccine that was believed to cause autism but there is not study that can prove the link!!! We have come a long way in the medical field and with studies and that is why diseases and disorders are being diagnosed more, doctors know more now.
    I think you really need to way the risks and benefits here, as with anything in raising a child. Either take advantage of protecting your child from pain and suffering from horrible diseases or listen to unproven results from "studies" you find online and allow your child to have a greater chance of dying from a disease. Think how you will feel if that happens???

By the way my son is 5 and has had all of his vaccines, and has had no problems!

mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 8:23 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I had the same concern when my son hit the age for the MMR vaccination. I have a nephew who is autistic which added to my concern. My pediatrician and I talked about it. She's in a unique position as she is also the mother of a child with autism. She has read all the studies and believes there is no link between vaccines and autism. She had no reservations about the vaccine at all.

I agree with the previous poster that said Autism is being diagnosed more frequently because doctor's know more about it and what to look for. Kids who might in the past have been viewed as "quirky" are now being diagnosed with milder types of Autism. My son is in Early Intervention for speech delay and his therapist works with kids on the spectrum. She also sees parents pushing to get autism diagnoses because they get more/better services that for other types of development issues.
    Anonymous

• Wow, I am so shocked we haven't had a huge debate bubbling yet!
    Anonymous

• there is a great group called 'educate before you vaccinate' i suggest checking them out! they have a TON of information and are very helpful!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 10:43 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• there has only been one case in court that was proven to have any affect from vaccinations. The girl had a previous undiagnosed condition that was aggrevated by an immunization that trigger her disease to worsen. 1 case and the vaccination didn't cause the condtion it triggered it to progress. The same mercury people complain about in vaccinations was used in saline contact solution for years and it didn't cause adult onset of autism. Autism is a genetic disease and yes it runs in families. Is it possible that certain vaccinations can affect autism I'm sure. Does it cause it no.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:03 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I saw a great program on NOVA Science Now about autism. . . they looked at families with Autism and found some interesting DNA results. . . Here is a link to the episode and you can watch it on line. . . Hope everyone enjoys. . . http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/0402/04.html

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:20 PM on Jul. 26, 2009