Should I take a Delivery Class before giving birth to my first child?

I'm a little nervous since this is my first child to give birth, I know there can be complications and no pregnancy will ever be the same but I was wondering if I should take the class or not worry about it and let everything happen naturally..

Deanna84

Asked by Deanna84 at 7:12 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think it would be a good idea since they teach you how to breathe with contractions, etc.
    Anonymous

• u dont have to..u technically dont have to do prenatal care but it is wise to so that u can be better taken care of and so can the baby! all the lamaze classes are for is to prepare yourself for the hardships of labor,its mainly all mental and they want u to know wat is normal so u wont freak out at every little thing and stay calm...cuz if ur not calm the babys not going to be either...but either route u go u will be fine...its not like ancient women went to lamaze classes and they had babys all the time lol good luck
    dilemma1

Answer by dilemma1 at 7:22 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I took every class I could just to be educated and to lessen any fears I had. I didn't regret any of the classes I took. By the time my son was born I felt very comfortable with it all.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:25 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I went and I'm so glad I did. The class answered EVERY question I had. From beginning of labor until leaving the hospital. It really made me not stress so much. I learned so much!
    Anonymous

• The class was kind of a waste of time as NOTHING they said could happen did (i.e. my physician/nurses did NOT follow my birth plan, had me in the worst position to push, induced me, gave me an IV, and I ended up with a C-section which I still don't have a valid reason as to why they felt that was necessary). The only good thing from the class was I knew about the drugs available.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 7:32 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I have to say I was extremely terrified. I've been taking both oarenting and lamaze classes and I have breastfeeding classes in the next couple of weeks. Since I've been going I've felt so confident that I can do this. Lamaze teaches you what's going on with you body, what to expect, how to cope with everything, how your partner can help you feel more comfortable and how to have a more relaxing labor. I love it. Its the best thing I've done. My next lamaze class there even going to be taking us to the hosipital to tell us what the doctors will be using, where will be staying, and what they do to the babies. ^_^
    LostAngel1986

Answer by LostAngel1986 at 7:35 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• its a good idea so you know what to expect but when it all comes down and they teach you the breathing techniques and your in pain you forget everything, and all you can think is get this baby out of me!
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• They're nice to go to, however one of my good customers was a teacher of the classes. She told me with my first that, "They're great classes and it's nice for women to be informed, however everything you learn will go right out the window, so it's really up to you", LOL.
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I think it's a good idea to go to the class. For me I know I felt a lot better after getting to see a delivery room and getting to walk around the maternity floor of the hospital that I had my son in. I think it helped me feel more comfortable with the idea of being there. I did learn some things about the different choices for pain meds and stuff like that. I think going to a class is a good idea for a first time mom.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 9:28 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Yes and def write a birth plan I did neither but thank god I had an easy labor. The only thing I hated was when nurses came into my room all night to take blood or to take baby for testing. Tell them no come back when it is convenient for u!
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 9:56 PM on Jul. 26, 2009