should i wake her up to feed her?

my daughter is 5 days old. the first day and a half out of the hospital, she barely slept and was fussy and had gas. i gave her mylicon drops and she finally had a bm and shes been eating very well and urinating enough too. however, today she fed around 145pm and she went to sleep not too long after, like 215 or so. she's been asleep since. she already had eaten 8 times since midnight last night but i was wondering if i should wake her to feed her because its now almost 730 and she's still not awake.

tamitha117

Asked by tamitha117 at 7:25 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My doctor told me with both my kids not wake them to feed them. Some doctors say to do it though. I have a 18 month old and a 6 weeks old. My 6 week old sometimes sleeps FOREVER after she eats and doesn't wake up for 6 hours or so.. But once she wakes up she eats alot and is all happy :) So in my opinion she may just be very tired and when she is hungry enough she will def. wake up and eat.
    Anonymous

• for a baby under a week old...try a dream feed after 4-5 hours, which means not waking the baby but put the breast to her lips and let her suck in her sleep...older than a week or 2 then I wouldn't worry about it...I never wake a sleeping baby once the sun goes down though...daytime yes nighttime no...gets their days and nights on track
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:44 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• when i was in the hospital my son wouldn't eat for about 6 hours they had to take him and do a blood test to check his sugar levels b/c they were afraid they'd gotten too low, when they came back normal they said to wait and see if he got hungry (we were trying to bf) but that if he didn't eat by the 8 hour mark, we'd have to try harder to get him to eat and if he wouldn't take breast it'd have to be bottle and if not that than an iv. so at such a young age, i'd say if she doesn't wake up by the 8 hour mark, you may want to try and wake her up. i'm all for letting them sleep when they hit about 2 weeks old, but before that they need to eat alot!
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:45 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I was told by our pediatrician that under 2 weeks old wake them up to feed. After that, feed on demand.
    StefMc07

Answer by StefMc07 at 8:17 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I always woke my children every 3 hours during the day to eat until they were 3 months old or so, especially important if you're breastfeeding. At night I let them sleep as long as they wanted to - great way to get their days/nights on track.

Answer by missanc at 9:41 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My youngest child is 14, and I know things have changed alot, as I have learned on CM! But IMO,you should wake a baby to eat during the day, but not at night, helps them get their days and nights straight.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:21 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• In the hospital i was told to wake my son up every 4 to 5 hours to eat if he was not waking up his self. But now that i got him home he has made his own schedule he eat every 3 hours during the day at night he goes up to 6 hours to wake up and eat. So i would say wake her up but then you want them to make there schedule bc my son thought each time he was awake he had to eat and it wasnt time. I would call your doctor and ask.
    2009mommytobe

Answer by 2009mommytobe at 12:00 AM on Jul. 27, 2009