If any of your kids are adults now...how hard was it to adjust to them being grown up?

I think my parents have had a really tough time with me being an adult, since I'm the baby and all. Just imagine how difficult it was to tell them I was pregnant at 19!

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 7:42 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• This is the perfect question for me,I'm about to lose my mind ,my oldest DD is getting married on Aug.1,2009,she is 34,but it seems like I'm losing my baby, I have 5 daughters from 34 to 14,and when each of them left home, I was really upset,but I know my parenting has prepared them for the outside world and being on their own,as your mom will tell you,"YOU MAY BE GROWN,BUT, YOU ARE STILL MY BABY", this is a true statement,I know my DD will make an awesome wife,but, she and all my girls are my babies.

lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 8:11 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• It was very difficult for me when my oldest daughter was growing up. Part of me just didn't want to accept it. When she was 18 1/2 years old she decided to 'run away' from home. She waited until we went shopping one day to pack her clothes and take off without telling us about it or letting us know where she was. Three months later we finally heard from her and then she spent a year living with different friends, mostly strangers, and ended up with a boyfriend who took her across the US, got her pregnant and then kicked her out because she wouldn't get an abortion. She stayed with strangers and got on Medicaid, but she finally realized she needed help. She lives with us now with her 5 1/2 month old baby, whom I'm mainly raising, and my daughter is still trying to grow up, but she still wants to be a kid and go run off with 'friends' across the US. {sigh}
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:56 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• It is very hard to let your children go....it sometimes feels like it is tearing your heart out. But you just have to let them grow. I try not to tell them what to do, I want them to come to me when they need me. I have a very hard time not telling them what to do with my grandchildren. But I bit my tongue they are the parents not me. I am reading a book now about finding your place as the grandparent. It is so hard when they grow up and have their own lives and families....but it's all part of life. I am proud of my children for the parents they are becoming....but I do long for them to be little again, and to lay in my lap and let me look into their eyes and just feel that love. My oldest dd and I were talking about this one day, and I got her to lay in my lap and let me look in her eyes, I did see my baby girl in there, but then we started laughing, because it was kind of weird for us to do this...lol
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 26, 2009