How can you potty train a child that has pervasive developmental disorder?

I'm not looking for answers that are going to say "like any other child"....
plus he's 4 yrs old i've been trying and trying since a while back even my sisters and my grandma and my husband have tried helping but its not successful. so any of you have any experience with this? he wont be able to start school till hes 5 because they wont except him if hes not potty train so should i just wait till next year?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• cont
    O.K. potty training. I have girls so that may make a difference but I don't think so.  My girls have delays and at one time had the PDD label.  When they were a bout 3 1/2 we started training.  They were non-verbal but did use a few signs and we used a picture system as well.  So we started by posting a picture of a toilet on the wall by the bathroom, and by using the sign. Whenever we went to the bathroom or big sister did we would say and sign I'm going to the bathroom, and touch the picture.  Then we started taking them on a rigorous schedule.  Once an hour.  We would say and sign the toilet sign,"potty" or something like that.  Then when they went we made a supper big deal out of it.  It took a while, about a year, but they got it.  Hope that helps. 

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:45 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My son had PDD and later was diagnosed with Autism. I struggled with the same problem. I had to let him stand up to pee. All a sudden, he didn't want to sit on the potty seat that goes over the toilet seat and I threw my hands up and said " Fine, stand there then!!!" and he did and he peed into the potty, his little "thingy" could barely reach.

Good Luck! It will come.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• O.K. the public school cannot deny him entrance when his disability is the cause of him not being able to train. I assume you have documentation of this disability. You are entitled to early intervention. That is special ed. preschool. I would encourage you to contact the school district and ask for an IEP intake meeting. By ask I mean make a formal request, not "could you or would you" They then have 50 calendar days to schedule the evaluations and set up services for him. I would also recommend asking the doctor who diagnosed the PDD for a recommendation of services, such as speech, occupational therapy, etc. They can not deny you those services and your boy will be much better off getting help now.

Cont
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:39 PM on Jul. 26, 2009