Long hair on a boy?

My son would like to grow his hair out long. He's five years old, and to him it's a matter of seeing that other children in his class have longer hair - some of them even wear it braided. I don't know if this is a new trend or what, but I don't mind if he wants to wear it long - to me it is a cultural thing. Most of the men in our family grow their hair. My question is this: right now, at the in-between stage, I can't see his eyes any longer and it's a mystery to me how he can see - has anyone any ideas on what I might do to keep it out of his face without making him look feminine?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Make get some gel and spike his "bangs" for now...or, let him grow it out everywhere except for his bangs. I love long hair on boys but if it's in their eyes - no go.
    Anonymous

• Agreed... just gel 'em til they grow out a little longer.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 9:52 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• HES A BOY-HE SHOULD HAVE A PROPER BOY HAIRCUT, LONG HAIR IS FOR GIRLS AS IS SHORT HAIR FOR BOYS. NO WONDER THERE ARE SO MANY GAYS OUT THERE-THEY START OFF WITH THIS WEIRD CRAP-BOYS WEARING THEIR HAIR LONG (GIRLS CUTTING IT SHORT) AND WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH BOYS WEARING SUPRERTIGHT JEANS?? ITS DISGUSTING. MY SON WILL NEVER HAVE LONG HAIR. HE'LL GET IT CUT MILITARY STYLE TILL THE DAY HE LEAVES HOME.
    Anonymous

• Just use hairspray. i would think that gel might make it look greasy.
    Anonymous

• To #3 (anon):
    My son doesn't wear super-tight jeans, nor am I particularly concerned with his sexual orientation... particularly as he is only five years old.
    As it happens, I have short hair. It's purple, too. I hope that doesn't offend you too much.
    To everyone who was kind enough to help:
    Thank you.
    grainneferguson

Answer by grainneferguson at 4:04 AM on Aug. 12, 2009