What would be a nice way to tell next door neighbor to keep her pit bull locked up better?

I have new neighbors who moved in about a month ago. I haven't really gotten to know them yet. They came with three dogs, one of them a very large pit bull, they keep in a small section of their yard. The problem is their dogs have been out at least twice now and came into my yard. The first time I was out walking my miniature Golden Doodle. The pit came up behind her, his head down low, tail out straight. he seemed to be moving in very aggresively. I was able to grab her up and get into the house before he could get to her. The same thing happened to day, I started yelling for my SO to come out of the house, I picked up my little (25 pounds) dog and got onto my front porch as he came out. The neighbor heard me yelling and ran over to get her dog, she had to drag it away. I want for us to feel safe, what do I do next?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• I would say just to politely tell her whats going on. No need to call the city on the dogs. Just talk to them and then if things don't get settled then you can go and call the city. But i think if you just talked to her nicely about it first things should be good.
    Anonymous

• you could make a call into the city department that handles animal control/loose-dogs..they would probably give the owners a visit, considering the type of dog you mentioned. just make a formal complaint.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:11 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Does she know her dog has gotten out more than once? I have chow mix and they are known to be very possessive dogs. She got out of the yard one day and I didn't know it and bite the neighbor's BIL. She told me about it about 3 weeks later!! I was so surprised I thought my yard was dog escape proof but she proved me wrong! Just tell her that it's not the first time the dog has gotten out, she may not know. Good Luck.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:11 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I have not spoken to them about the first time the dog was out, I hate that the first time I speak to them it will be a bit negative. I am bringing a garden hoe to my front porch to keep just in case he returns. If it goes for my little dog again, I am going to be prepared to do major damge. My dog is always on a leash, and in her own yard, even just to pop outside to go to the bathroom. I told my teen ager to just keep her in the front yard for now, do not take her into the back or side yard. I also worry about my teen, as she and her friends walk around the neighborhood quite a bit. I will try speaking to them soon, It seems liike things like this seldom go well. and I am not a confrontational person.
    Anonymous

• I would see what the ordinances are for dogs in your area. Our city has a leash law, and dogs need to be leashed or contained in their yards. I would definately make it a point to talk to the neighbor. Since the dog is a breed that has a 'rep' for being aggressive they need to be aware that the dog is able to get out of the yard and they need to find a way to contain the dog in its own yard.
    I have a neighbor whose dog jumps my fence. what I was told is that if the dog is being threatening I can call the police. If it is just being annoying (not threatening) then take pictures of it on my property and then go file a report. If there are enough incidents the police or animal control will get involved. In my case- the owners know the dog jumps the fence (I have talke to them many times about it)- but make no effort to keep the dog in their yard.
    Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:41 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Okay I've got a totally stupid question. Are you just assuming this dog is aggressive? From what you wrote it seems you've already made up your mind about this dog and yet you haven't spoken to the owners about your concerns. I only say this because my neighbor has a pitbull and I personally own two rotties, none of which are a match for my sister's toy boston terrier who bites everyone and everything he comes in contact with. I'm not saying your concerns are not valid but if I were you I would make it a point to get to know your neighbors and have them address your concerns before calling animal control.

Obviously if they don't do anything about securing their dogs, by all means call who you need to but remember no one likes nasty neighbors.
    Anonymous

• i think when a dog of any breed comes to you with the head and tail in that position is a dominace stance. i could be wrong but submissive dogs come with a low hanging tail and head high. the higher the tail goes the more assertive or domninace it is. i would just let them know that that was not the second time their dog has been out and that you didn't say anything about the first time but being that it has gotten out twice now that they should know.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:03 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Once a dog figures out how to get out it is really hard to keep them in. I am experiencing the problem myself. I have a pit/boxer mix who has discovered how to get out under our fence. We have tent and iron stakes in the ground, brought in dirt, staked 2x4's down and strategically placed our lawn mower around our yard. Just this morning I thought FINALLY he has not gotten out in two weeks. I kid you not an hour later my neighbor brought him home. We are trying SO HARD to keep this dog in and he just keeps finding ways out. Luckily our neighbors know he is not aggressive and are not bothered by him BUT still I feel like this AWFUL neighbor. We have even been told that he has climbed the fence! He has three friggin legs! I never DREAMED I would have these problems from him. Oh back to my point, it may take time for the new owners to find a way to keep the dog in. If they are aggressive they need to find an answer quickly.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 9:11 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I defintely am not a "nasty neighbor" . I am taking the dog to be agressive because of the way it is moving in on my dog and I. There is nothing friendly in its' manner. I do know dogs and this is not a creampuff of a dog. I love animals, and would not want to harm one, However, this is one that will be harmed if it should attack. Is it being a "nasty neighbor" to voice concern, or a "nasty neighbor" to allow your dogs to intefere with your neighbors day to day lives? I would feel less trepidation about talking to the woman if she had said something to me when she came into my yard to retrieve her pit. She didn't. The dog is tied up in her yard right now, but the gate is still open, so I hope until I can meet with her, the dog stays in.
    Anonymous

• OK as an owner of a pit..i have to speak up. I have a brindle male pit. He weighs about 100 pounds....and incase you ddin't know dogs sniff asses to get aquainted. my dog is a bigger baby than my 30 pound beagle mix....as apit owner...when they get excited his tail does go straight..and they are fast as hell....they don't kinow how to go slow anywhere....And dogs can sense fear....that dog most likely wanted to sniff ur dogs ass lick ur face and be on his way.
    Now as for your neighbor most pit owners know there is a stigma around them....just let them know...say no offense to the breed of your dog but large dogs scare me could you please do something about making sure he doesn't get out again...and also ask what the dogs name is..just INCASE he get's out again...and if he does come up to you...as long as he's not growling like he's gonna attack you.......slowly stick out your hand and say hi todo or rover or whatever..cont
    AustinsMommy306

Answer by AustinsMommy306 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 26, 2009