what the heck is this?! I hear it all the time

what is "stripping membranes"?
Im a FTM and I have heard many mothers talk about stripping membranes after the 38th week.
Just would like to know in case I have to get it done...
Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You have to be dilated I think to at least a 1. The physican takes her finger and runs it along the inside of your uterus between the baby's sac and you. It is supposed to seperate the 2 in order to help you progress towards labor. It is a little painful, cramping feeling. It did nothing for me, but I guess it does cause some women to go into labor with in 24 hours. Not a very good explanation, but hope it helps.
    momof2wifenurse

Answer by momof2wifenurse at 8:21 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• It's when the doctor sticks a finger or two up your vagina and to your cervix and literally "scrapes" some of the mucous away from it in an attempt to help you dilate and get ready for labor. It's just a little bit uncomfortable, it's nothing to be scared of. Not many people have to have it done. Some people have to have it done multiple times. I had it done two or three times, I think. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't do a damn thing. It didn't work for me, I ended up being induced at 41 weeks.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:18 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Stripping membranes is an intervention that some OB/GYNs will use to attempt to induce labor. What they do is strip the membranes away from the cervix.
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 8:20 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I HAD THIS DONE 3 TIMES AND IT NEVER HELPED ME DIALATE AT ALL... ALL THE EXPLANATIONS ARE CORRECT ON HERE BUT JUST TO WARN YOU IF YOUR DR TELLS YOU THAT YOU NEED IT, IT IS GOING TO HURT VERY BAD,, AT LEAST IT DID FOR ME.
    ALLIE637

Answer by ALLIE637 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Avoid it. An unnecessary intervention.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:42 PM on Jul. 26, 2009