How do I make the cat feel it's ok to come upstairs with the new dog?

We got a second dog several weeks ago, and the youngest and smallest cat has been spending most of her time in the basement. I miss her. The dog hasn't tried to attack her, but she must still be scared.

Asked by elwalters77 at 7:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Pets

• You can try this method. Place a childs gate on the door of a room that kitty likes. Put the dog in the next room and let them get to know each other on their own terms. New family members of any kind can be threatening to them. Take it easy and slow ....eventually they will settle into knowing each other.

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 7:28 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Have you tried bringing the cat upstairs while holding her and reassuring her it's ok? It takes time for a cat to get used to a new dog. you could also bring the cat upstairs and close the basement door so she cant run and hide down there. Of course expect her to find a place in the house upstairs to hid. Unless the dog attacks her she will get used to it eventually.

Answer by vbruno at 7:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Don't force your cat, use the advice number 2 and give her time.
    she will get used, but don't expect your cat to like the dog.
    After 3 years that my daughter was born, 2 of my 4 cats are still afraid of her....

Answer by Lalesca at 8:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• It takes time I like advice #2 that will give your cat a safe place and let her look at the dog and make her own decision on it. Good luck.