What has your Pedi Said about Mixing Forumla and Milk?

My son just turned ten months old. I'm trying to find ways to conserve his formula as it is very expensive. I heard about mixing milk with formula for different reasons. One to help conserve formula and another reason was to help wean a child off of formula. I do hope to wean my son off of formula by the time he is one, if not shortly after, but I would like to know more about mixing his formula with milk. I read tonight that the Pediatrician Association recommends you don't give a child milk until they're one year of age and only whole milk after that mark. However, I thought I read on here how mother's are mixing milk and formula before that. I would like to know what you all have learned (or have done). Thanks for your help!

JazzlikeMraz

Asked by JazzlikeMraz at 8:32 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i started at about 11 months
    i made formula and then added some milk to it and slowly decreased the fomula in the mix and increased the milk
    but ya the ped will say wait til 1
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:41 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• formula is what babies til 12 months NEED nutritionally by conserving it you are asking for your child to not get enough nutrition. NEAR 12 months you can mix the 2 to get him used to the taste but make the formula totally then add milk, not make the formula using the milk. COws milk before 12 months causes bleeding in the intestines and can lead to anemia, cows milk has very little if any iron and very much of it can cause anemia..

Stick to the formula for now, give cows milk closer to 12 months...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:44 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My pediatrician told me I could use small amounts of milk to mix with his cereal or other foods if I wanted to. There's nothing magic that happens at the age of 1 that makes milk suddenly okay. It just shouldn't be their main source of nutrition because it has too much sodium and doesn't meet their nutritional needs like formula or breastmilk. Also, some kids are allergic to dairy, but there was no history of allergies in my family so I went ahead and gave it to him early.

Answer by missanc at 9:46 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My daughter is 7 months old, and I have been mixing her formula with about 2 oz of whole milk once or twice a day (not every bottle). I don't need my pedi's permission. My sisters and I were bottle-fed whole milk from 6 months up, and my baby sister started at 2 wks. I'm doing it to conserve formula, and eventually I will wean her off, maybe somewhere around 8-10 months.

And just for anyone's info, I'll go anon, because I don't like unsolicited hate-mail (because I already know someone is gonna be upset about this).
    Anonymous

• The reasons in the past it was ok to give milk before 12 months was because we didn't know better, studies hadn't been done...now we know better so we SHOULD do better...its the same things for years ago they said formula was better than BM, and years ago no one used carseats, and many many more examples...

Around 12 months there is a BIG change in digestion AND in nutritional needs of a child...not the day they turn 12 months but 12 months is the earliest in studies negative things didn't happen when cows milk was started.

Our babies aren't cows, their bodies can NOT digest cows milk, it makes the intestines BLEED....

COnserving formula is malnourshing your baby..might as well water it down...both do the same thing...malnourish them.

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/diet.fitness/9906/23/cows.milk/
    http://www.parenting.com/article/Baby/Feeding/Ask-Dr-Sears-Cows-Milk-for-Babies
    http://www.drpaul.com/library/12NOV1999.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:25 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• tabi cat1023: I've never met anyone that said those things from experience. All of those "studies" and "research" I'm pretty sure were backed by people who'd make money from it. And this isn't something you can compare to carseats.
    Anonymous

• O.K. milk isn't safe until after a year, even a little later. A couple of suggestions on cost, use powder not ready to feed, use store brand as long as baby isn't on a special formula. I think Wal-mart is the cheapest. And if money is a problem see about getting on WIC. That is what it is for. Milk gets pricy too and then there is all the baby cerial. It helps to get some help paying for that stuff. Your pedi may even give you some samples, if you level with them.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:14 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I started mixing at 11 months. By then, both of my boys were getting most of their nutrients from food. They ate everything. Formula was not their main source. It worked well with my oldest. But my second, he decided he didn't like milk. By the time we got to half and half he refused the bottle and would not take it, even with just formula in it, after that. He is now 19 months and finally starting to like milk. He gets he dairy other ways.
    Anonymous