BREAST MILK

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE AFTER BIRTH FOR YOUR MILK TO COME IN ALL THE WAY. I GAVE BIRTH 4 DAYS AGO AND I HAVE SOME MILK COMMING OUT BUT NOT A LOT.

ALLIE637

Asked by ALLIE637 at 8:40 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It took 3 or 4 days for my milk to come in. But when it first comes in your body will produce LOTS of it, at least it should, and your boobs will feel like they are going to explode. How do you know how much is coming out? Did you try pumping or expressing milk yourself? If your baby is having enough wet diapers then you are producing plenty :)
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 8:44 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Are you pumping? "Otherwise it is hard to tell. My first son was given a bottle by NICU so he refused to nurse. I pumped and the gold milk came the first day. Actually I think later that night I had lots of milk coming out. The nurse said he would be a very blessed baby.

I nursed number 2 and he just nursed till he was done. Some how after awhile they get the back milk and that is the fattening milk. If your pumping just keep trying. Otherwise go by your babys cues.
    Anonymous

• With my second child it took about 6 days. Colostrum is plenty until the milk comes in.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• about 5-6 days
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 9:27 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Ignore how much you think is coming out and pay attention to how many diapers baby is putting out...at 4 days 4 diapers total at 5 day 5 diapers total at 6 days 6 diapers total after that 6-8 diapers a day wet or messy and a really wet one counts as 2 diapers...pumping means nothing btw

nurse nurse nurse

my milk was in by day 3....when you have milk you have milk....supply is very high in the beginning and backs off...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:42 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• After #1, my milk came in about 2 or 3 days after giving birth. With my second, it came in the next day after having her.
    Princefan6684

Answer by Princefan6684 at 10:10 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My baby was born on a Monday night, the milk came in on one side Thursday night, and on the other side Friday morning. Baby is almost 4 months old, and still going strong! :) Keep it up! I second what Tabi_Cat said-- diaper count is what matters... and some women just don't pump well. I don't, but DD gets all she needs/wants!
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 10:33 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Mine came in day 4 is when I got all engorged
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:20 PM on Jul. 26, 2009