I have a 2 1/2 month old granddaughter, and she has a cough. What can I give her to help her sleep. She hasn't gotten a fever with it YET. It's been 22 yrs since I've had a baby. HELP!!!!

Denise2412

Asked by Denise2412 at 8:45 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• un fortunatly at that age there is nothing approved to give her

hopefully she will sleep ok
    if she doesnt you can go sit in the bathroom with her and close the door , turn on the hot water dont let her touch, but just hang out in there and let her breath in the steam
    :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:48 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• They too ALL baby cough & cold medicine off the shelves not too long ago because (A) they said there was no evidence it actually helps (complete BS if ya ask me) and (B) because some parents apparently didn't know how to dose their child and/or were mixing meds with the same ingredients resulting in a higher than normal # of ODs (also pathetic, IMO).

So -- you're pretty much up sh*t creek. You'll have to try a home remedy or take her to the dr to be able to get a prescription for the same stuff you used to be able to buy OTC.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 8:50 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• i make my kids tea. we have some that are made for kids when they are sick but any herbal tea should help. chamomile is calming. you could also try to prop her up with extra pillows so the fliud isnt draining and making her cough more.

they still sell childrens cough medicine at the store but it is not safe! they have continued to sell it because they are afraid people will start giving their kids the adult cough meds.

bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 9:02 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• You can squirt some lil noses saline solution in her nose to help break up the mucous and use the small blue plunger you got from the hospital to suck it all out.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 9:09 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I wouldnt put her on pillows, she can roll or scoot right off and smother. You can prop up her crib mattress though. you need moisture in the air and they make a baby medicine that is like vicks also. I cant remember the name though. Maybe sleep holding her in a recliner or something thats what I ended up doing many nights.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 9:27 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• the best thing you can do, and this is what i do, and it works fine, is...

i give her a nice warm bathe. feed her soup. and i make sure my daughter has alot of fluids, (juice, water, milk) and i simply just make sure shes comfortable. unless your grand daughters cough is REALLY bad, then id take her into the doctor. when i did when my daughter had a bad cough, it was cause she had pnemonia and i was given medicine for her. if its not a bad cough, i dont think you have much to worry about. good luck
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 9:36 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• call the Dr, ours had some allergy med to dry her up at night... you can also try a humidifier ... not sure what is out there for infants over the counter anymore... I also placed a pillow under the mattress to allow for drainage...
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 9:51 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Kiliki..the baby is only 2 1/2 mos. she can't have soup, milk or juice yet. Just get a humidifier and see if that helps
    sassygoddess

Answer by sassygoddess at 9:52 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• When my kids had a cough they used to sleep better when the room was a little on the cool side.
    Anonymous

• Breastmilk, breastmilk and more breastmilk. Have mom be around baby and give you the most recent pumped milk. You can also squirt breastmilk up baby's nose as you would with other drops to relive congestion. Beyond breastmilk there is not much else besides taking baby into a steamy shower (not in the water but in the room) unless prescribed by doctor at this age. I hope baby feels better soon.

Anonymous