• In the Spotlight:

Thyroid? Neck squishiness - what is this?

I called the insurance health line kind of on a whim to ask them about why my hair seems to be falling out (which I attributed to having a baby on 1/31 and the hormones being wacky) . She said it was probably not that, and asked if I had anything else weird going on. I told her for a week I'd felt like there was something in my throat. She said it sounds like a thyroid issue, and to see the doctor (I'm calling tomorrow to schedule the appt).

I never had really felt around my neck so I don't know if this is normal or not - but if I push in on the right side of my neck, just to the right of where a guy would have an Adam's apple, I can push and feel like a squishiness. It feels almost like I'm pushing on a beanie baby and can feel little beanie things move underneath (that's the best I can describe it). If you push on your neck, does it squish too?

I know, weird question - but I'm wondering if it always did this. :-/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Health

• Thyroid is in that spot so are the para thyroid... you Dr will push around and if he feels anything he might want to send you to an Eye-ear & nose Dr.... I ended up with Thyroid Cancer... it is the best cancer you can have... if you have to have one... it is contained in the gland and cut right out... I hope all comes out good for you .... come by and chat if you need to :-) I'm here...
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 9:44 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I'm assuming I'm pushing near the thyroid - I have no idea though. I can "squish" the other side as well, but not as much. And I'm trying to keep my hands off anyway.
    Anonymous

• Take a glass of water, go into the bathroom and look into the mirror as you swallow water. If you see a lump you may have a goiter. It does sound like hypothyroidism. Google the symptoms and the symptoms for Hashimotos thyroiditis.
    Anonymous

• I don't see anything from the outside - it's just when I swallow it feels like there's something there (but not anything I have to push down - it's just "there").
    Anonymous

• Anonymous