Are his threats empty?

Here is my situation...my husband & I have been separated since March of this year. I have taken care of our thirteen month old daughter since day one, & am her custodial parent. He only sees her for a couple hours every once in a while when I break down & ask him if he wants to see her. Otherwise, he never asks. He doesn't take any financial responsibility for her and hasn't for a long time. He's never spent an entire night with her by himself, & my reasons for leaving him were many....emotional, psychological & minor phsyical abuse, drug use, & ultimately, all though he admits none of it, he abandoned us. His abusive behavior towards me has continued even though we don't live together. He threatens me regularly....to call CPS, to get my daughter taken from me, that his family has money for lawyers & I don't...that I ruined our marriage. Are his threats empty? Should I take them to heart? What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• i would bewat him to the punch and take him to court to hve custody and visitation ordered as well as child support
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I would take the seriously

Answer by louise2 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Document everything you can. Record phone calls, print out emails, save text messages, keep all of your reciepts for things you buy her, write down when he visits, etc. Then make sure you have a decent living arrangement, your DD has everything she needs (maybe not wants, but needs like food in the kitchen, medicine in case she gets sick, etc,) and make sure that everything is basically clean. That way if he does call CPS, they won't find any reason to take her, and they will know that he made a false accusation.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 9:50 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I agree with PP.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I would keep records of all the threats like day and date he said them, that way if this ever does get's nasty you will have records of it in court. And if he calls cps on you and they come to your house and don't see nothing wrong, he can get in a lot of trouble calling them just to get back at you. Good luck
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 9:50 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I already filed for child support, & I have an appointment with a lawyer about filing for divorce this week, but I'm worried about the child custody aspect of it....& I do worry that because he supposedly has the money from his family backing him, that I'm going to get screwed. -OP
    Anonymous

• I'm not really so much worried about him calling CPS. She lives in a safe, healthy environment...clean, has everything she needs & probably more, has medical insurance, is happy, healthy, etc. I'm worried at the fact that I don't believe her being around him alone is necessarily a healthy situation for her. He's physically threatened me with her present more than one time, among many, many other things...including hard core drug use. I want to make sure my daughter and myself are safe. -OP
    Anonymous

• If he's not seeing your child regularly, then he probably won't take advantage of any visitation he gets in court anyway

Answer by missanc at 9:59 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I think you should go to court and get full custody any judge with half a brain would give you it. If what you're saying is true.. It's not that I don't believe you but remember we only get one side of the story.. Good Luck and if you're doing everything right you have nothing to worry about.

Mazie0723

Answer by Mazie0723 at 10:13 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• His threats are empty. Don't let him get to you. He's just trying to scare you into doing whatever he wants you to. This is another way of him controling you. Just ignore his threats and just keep focusing on taking care of your child.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:37 PM on Jul. 26, 2009