I've asked a lot of questions related to breastfeeding

and I've gotten some excellent responses. But I'm getting so tired. She latches correctly now, but my nipples are still scabs. I had a clogged milk dud and it was painful, and now that breast doesn't even seem to be producing enough milk at all. Also my boobs are both hot to the touch and one has red streaks. And now I think that the baby has thrush because her tongue is turning white and her bottom is becoming red (that's how I noticed her brothers too). I'm guessing that she got the thrush from my boobs. I'm so upset because I really wanted to breast feed this time. I'm not willing to give up yet, but I've stopped and cried several times today because I feel like such a failure. Has anyone else gone through this? What did you do?

ajguinn

Asked by ajguinn at 9:56 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I kind of went through something like this. I tried breastfeeding and my breast were so sore and scabby and they would actually start to bleed a little every now ant then. I did not have the lines you are describing though. I wasn't producing enough milk so we started doing fromula too and eventually went all to formula. I felt like such a failure as well as would cry because I really wanted to breastfeed because everyone was yelling in my ear at how much better it was to do it for the baby and I was just having such a hard time. Now I'm not saying to give up and I hope this time will be different for me, but just know you are not alone at all. Good luck darling. P.S. I would maybe get your boobs checked out for the lines just in case.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 10:05 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• You need to go to the ER. If you have red streaks it can indicate blood poisening from infection. You may have mastitis. You may need antibiotics.
    Anonymous

• Red streaks is mastitus or could be bruising fromt he clogged duct, you may need to see a doctor about that

Thrush is best treated with Genetian violet, paint your nipples and babies mouth and nurse, works better than anything else and is over the counter...easy as pie..stains a bit..google it for how to use it or look on kellymom.com

You will NEVER regret continuing to BF...because it gets easier. NOt all moms regret switching to FFing but the regret rates are high in my experience.

Clogged ducts and mastitus, scabs and pain all sound like caused by bad latch and oversupply...you need to see a LC.

Stick it out and never quit on your worst day....give it a day at a time. Oh and join the BFing groups here on cafemom for more BFing advice
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:05 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I read on WebMD, La Leche League, and a couple of other sites that what is going on probably is mastitis. All of the sites say to keep nursing, that the infection should clear up on its own with nursing. They also say to apply heat. But I am going to the doctor tomorrow, I've decided, because dd will have to be treated anyway if she does have thrush. I'm just too disappointed with all of this, I mean on top of being in a bad mood because my boobs hurt all the time now I have to deal with a sick baby. Ugh. I don't know what made me think I could do this and pull it off well.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:07 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My first time around I had NO issues at all. But with my second daughter, I had a really bad breast infection and a minor case of thrush. It happens hon. Sounds like you do have a breast infection though. If you start to have a fever, call your Dr asap! But make sure to increase your fluid intake, eat yogurt daily as well...this will help with the thrush and if possible start taking probiotics daily. If you need any more suggestions or support, you can pm me. Best of luck!
    Princefan6684

Answer by Princefan6684 at 10:09 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Dammit. Do not give up and DO NOT give up with that attitude. Breastfeeding MAY NOT be for you BUT, this is NOT the time for you to simply give in. You are miserable, your baby is miserable. Nurse, nurse, nurse to get the infection gone. Get a LC to help you. Go to the doctor ASAP for the infection. It could be serious and PP is right about the violet. Please get help as you need hands on help. AND THAT IS OK AND NORMAL. Please..
    Anonymous

• OH and no matter what you are NOT a failure, baby is fed, baby is not abused, baby is loved and cared for right?? You have NOT failed...now more F-word OK???
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:15 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Sounds like a mastis. You can still do this, but you need to get to a doc for antibiotics, and don't let them put you on anything you can't breastfeed with. Also please call a lactation consultant.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:26 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Do you have a fever?
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 10:40 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• GET TO A DOCTOR! You have mastitis as well as thrush. Bth are beatable but you can't do it alone.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:00 PM on Jul. 26, 2009