Can a 9 month old not recognize their mother after just one wkd away?

Okay so this wkd was the first weekend I have ever left my daughter overnight with someone else. (She is 9 months old) My husband and I had a wedding out of state so she stayed with my parents, her grandparents. My mother said that she was good all wkd but got a bit clingy yesterday(sat). They had her at their house all wkd. Anyways, she is a momma's girl big time, so today when they brought her home she wouldn't even come near me. Everytime I tried to hold her she cried, screamed and reached out for my husband which is never the case? She wouldn't let me feed her, hold her, she just cried her eyes out and screamed for my husband. I am so confused? She even clings to me instead of my mother her grandmother when we are both around- she is my right side most of the time if ya know what I mean. So this really threw us all for a loop... anyone ever had this happen? I am worried and heart broken.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Honestly I wouldn't worry about it too much. It migt just be that in her mind she knows or thinks that you are the one that left her for the weekend so she feels a little upset towards you. I highly doubt that she doesn't recognize you. If she didn't she wouldn 't recognize your husband either probably. Try not to let it eat you up too much. There will be times where she won't leave your side and others where she will only want her dad or someone else. It happens, it's ok. Good luck hon.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 10:39 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Maybe she missed you and is scared you're gonna leave her again? Idk, in that case it would seem like she'd be acting that way towards your hubby, too, though....I'd give her a couple days. but I don't think she "forgot" you. I just took my daughter on a week-long trip with me, and she didn't see her daddy for 7 days. Whenever we got home, she knew who he was immediately, and was fine and normal. She's 7 months old. Maybe your daughter is throwing a bit of a temper? Maybe she's upset that you left or something.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:41 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My mom had that when she left my sister for 2 days! I think my sister was over a year old. Little ones don't have the greatest memory! She will be fine after a couple days. My sister was calling the babysitter, 'mommy!'
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:00 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• i just had to leave my 11 month old for an entire week. when i came home she was stand offish, but it was to be expected. a baby remembers her mother after 4 months of life. your smell, your voice, your touch, your routine.just be patient. i am absolutely sure she has not forgotten you. she just got comfy with someone else and she had a new routine. give her a chance to get back in the swing of things and she will be yours all over again.
    lovinsophie

Answer by lovinsophie at 8:07 AM on Jul. 27, 2009