How safe do you think this is?

My DD who's 10 to sleep in her tent on our enclosed for front porch with the sliding glass doors locked? I just feel weird about it. We live in a very quiet neighborhood and most nights I am on said porch until 1 am or later, just enjoying the peace. However, at some point I will go to bed and I don't feel right leaving her out there. I want her to wait until tomorrow when my DH is here and home from work, he's up all night anyhow and I could leave the front door open (not the porch door, the actual front door, the porch door woudl still be locked) and he could still hear her if there's a problem. My sis thinks I am being too protective, and she's perfectly safe on the porch as long as its locked.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't think there would be a problem. If you're locking the sliding glass doors, what would be different about her being on the porch versus her being in your living room?
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 11:59 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I wouldn't let her do it either. How do you know what will and/or could happen. As my grandma used to say, "Anything can happen child, anything can be".

Don't take a chance with your child.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:09 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I have let mine sleep inthe back yard with a friend at that age. It was fenced in. Do you have an old baby monitor or something you could put out to make you feel better? If you would feel better waiting until tomorrow then wait. One night wont hurt her. You probably wouldnt get much sleep anyway. Or you could sleep out there with her. I would feel better if she had a friend with her at least.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 11:09 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I didnt think about if you could trust her. Do you think she would stay on the porch?
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 11:10 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• perhaps if your living room is close by you could sleep in there, and leave the door from the porch to the house open..

or get out the popcorn, and some old albums or something, and camp out there with her

(this way, your not ruining her night, but instead getting in some one on one time, AND you know she's safe)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:11 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Well, I know she wouldn't leave the house, because if she wanted to she could leave the house now without sleeping on the porch. She just wants to "camp" and gram and grampa sold their trailer last spring.
    Anonymous

• Why would you lock the door shes next to but not the front door? What if she really needed to get inside your house really quickly.... that would be my only qualm qith the whole thing.
    katskelington

Answer by katskelington at 11:30 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Yes, You are being too protective
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 11:34 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I would wait for your DH to be home.
    sarahgibbs

Answer by sarahgibbs at 11:40 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I think she would be ok...but it is your decision.....you are the mom, you have to feel ok with it.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 26, 2009