fontanels ?????

when did your babies close? my son just turned 12 months this week and my best friends mom (who is a nurse) told me when I asked her when he was around 3 months about the fontanels, said that they usually close completely around 9 months. I am taking him tomorrow morning for his 1 year shots so i plan on asking his doc but, just wanted to know what some other moms have experienced with this subject. Thanks!

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• I've always been told that it could take up until the child was two before they were fully closed and hardened . I've never heard that they should completely close by nine months. That sounds a little early. But my son is almost 16 months and his have closed. So they probably could close by nine months but I imagine not every baby's close that soon. But I'd still ask the doc just to be sure.

Samantha_1629

Answer by Samantha_1629 at 11:16 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Fontanelle
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This article is about the human anatomical feature. For other uses, see Fontanelle (disambiguation).
    "soft spot" redirects here. For the Clem Snide album, see Soft Spot.
    The skull at birth, showing the anterior and posterior fontanelles.
    The skull at birth, showing the lateral fontanelles.

A fontanelle (or fontanel) is an anatomical feature on an infant's skull. Fontanelles are soft spots on a baby's head which, during birth, enable the bony plates of the skull to flex, allowing the child's head to pass through the birth canal. The ossification of the bones of the skull cause the fontanelles to close over by a child's second birthday. The closures eventually form the sutures of the neurocranium. Although there are the two anterior and posterior fontanelles, there are two more fontanelles of interest, the mastoid fontanelle, and the sphenoidal fontanelle.

The skull of a newbor
    SweetPea102689

Answer by SweetPea102689 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• What is up with the lesson SweetPea102689? I know what a fontanel is, thank you. If I was ignorant to that, I would not use the word. I was merely asking about others experience which is always different.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:18 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I also did a Google search before posting this question and read that. Every child is unique and I thought I was clear in my question about requesting knowledge from experience.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:22 AM on Jul. 27, 2009