Late vaccinations?

My son turned one on the 8th of June. My health insurance for him was discontinued at that time, so he hasn't had his 1-year-old physical yet or vaccines.... The only one I know he needs is chicken pox, but I'm not sure what other 1 year old shots are, if any. I'm working on getting health insurance now but we may not have it until September....will it be too late to get the vaccine then? I know he won't have any problems with the physical, he's doing fine but for now he can't even attend day care because his vaccinations are not up to date...will it make a difference if we get them so late?

AidensMommy608

Asked by AidensMommy608 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• For some of the vaccinations it might but some of the no. My daughter was hospitalized for a night before she was one and because of it her doctor decided to space out her shots and stuff. So for some I don't think so.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 11:17 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• No, it shouldn't matter at all. We delay vaccinations and don't even start them until our kids are 2 years old.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:18 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• It shouldn't be a problem. I think that the hep. B one is the only one on a timed series and I believe your son should be done with them by now. The rest do not matter on a time frame. We ran in to the same problem, loss of insurance, with my son's 18 month checkup. He was due for shots in june and is getting them at the end of August.
    Anonymous

• You should check with your daycare, there should be a waiver you can sign for now. Most daycares are like schools. They can't tell your child they can't come if they don't have their vaccines. Unless it is a nonprofit daycare perhaps and doesn't receive any grants/funding from the state.
    Anonymous

• Not sure what state you live in, but you can check with your local health department about getting free or reduced rate vaccines.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Oh, yeah, I am the first ann. poster. The last poster reminded me that the pediatrician did tell me that without insurance my son's vaccines would be free. I would just have to pay an administration fee. We opted to wait because he is getting the the insurance through the state so I will only have a $5 copay which is cheaper than the administration fee. Definitely check that out. His doctor should know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• You know, I had a similar question that I posted today, only now that i've delayed him from his vaccinations I have 2 worries...one is that he might get sick if he doesn't get vaccinated, we might be moving and are waiting 'til we get health insurance as well. The other was that whole scare with the vaccinations possibly being linked to Autism...I've concluded that I'll get my son vaccinated b/c it hasn't been proved...my child is fine, but everytime I take him out to a public place (like the church nursery) I worry that another child might give him something and he'll get really sick. I'm going to look into the free vaccinations thing. You should also check into those free clinics or those travel vehicles that do free vaccinations every once in a while.
    jennmdlc

Answer by jennmdlc at 1:01 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I vaccinate my children on a very late, spaced out schedule (due to my oldest child having autism) and there has never been a problem.

Answer by missanc at 10:19 AM on Jul. 27, 2009