Belly touching...

My in-laws have the very annoying habit of touching my pregnant belly. I am slightly overweight so I feel veeeery uncomfortable when they do it! But I have already let it happen a few times so now I've probably passed the line about saying something. I just don't want a sarcastic comment made if I say "please don't touch". I have never been a touchy feely person...especially not being overweight. I don't see why having a pregnant belly should be any different!!

I need some advice from you moms on how you have handled/handle this situation if it bugged you too.

sarahgibbs

Asked by sarahgibbs at 11:23 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• if you dont want to tell them, then explain it to your hubby & have him tell them, that you arent & have never been the touchy feely type & that your prego & dont want to make you uncomfy so they should stop.
    Anonymous

• I already did haha. He's the kinda guy that feels if i'm the one with the problem I should confront it..... he's nice about it though. It's just there's already been some uneasyness between me and my mother in law, so i don't want to start a conflict; but it does make me very uncomfortable when she touches/rubs my belly.

sarahgibbs

Answer by sarahgibbs at 11:32 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My husband's grandmother rubbed my belly-- when I wasn't pregnant --to ask when there would be a baby bump there. I was so offended that I made it clear to everyone in his family that I did not appreciate any part of my body being touched unless I expressly invited it-- like a hug.

When I finally did get pregnant, I told his parents myself that I found people randomly touching pregnant bellies to be rude, and that I would not tolerate it. I asked them to pass on the message to the other relatives. His grandmother got the message, and I have not invited her touch the baby belly-- even when the baby is moving and you can see it.

It's your body-- be firm and consistent. Or you could be more passive aggressive-- when they touch yours, touch theirs at the same time and give it a good rub. Then say something along the lines of... which one of us is pregnant? :)
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:39 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Next time try smiling and saying something like 'im so happy that you are excited about the baby and I know you like rubbing the baby but I'd really like if you asked first or waited until I offered, I'm feeling uncomfortable with my body right now and just don't want to hurt your feelings'... You are nicer than me I hated having my belly rubbed so one day in a fit of hormones when a stranger of all people just walked up and rubbed my belly I didn't even think twice I just reached out and rubbed her boob... Don't ask why I don't know but when she freaked out on me I said 'I'm sorry I thought invading peoples privacy was ok, I mean you were rubbing me weren't you?' After that I friend made me a shirt that read 'If you rub my belly I will grope your boobs' to warn people when I wasn't in the mood lol. GL and just be sure to make them understand its not just them your just setting a few personal boundaries.
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 11:45 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• i had a bigger problem w strangers touching me. if you dont want them to do it, tell them or tell dh.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 12:48 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• just tell them. sounds like subtle hints are going to work w/ them. you're going to have to be aggressive about it. and if they keep doing it, tell dh that he needs to help you w/ this situation. they are his parents and his words should help some.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:17 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I hate it too. My DH touches my stomach all the time, but that doesn't bother me. I'm also overweight. I was like 2 months pregnant my mom made me stand up and lift up my shirt and show her my stomach. I was so embarassed. When people start saying something about my stomach I tend to fold my arms over my stomach, they usually get the hint.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 11:04 AM on Jul. 27, 2009