Need advice, I want to tell my sister I can't watch her kids so much.

After she had her second baby she asked if I could watch them 3 days a week after daycare, so from like 4 till 9:30. She pays me $5/hr for 2 kids(plus I take my baby too), not much but she is my sister so I'm giving her a break. In the begining she asked if I could do all day for 2 weeks untill she got the money for daycare, then after that it was 2 more weeks. It has been almost 2 months and I'm doing 3 12 hour days and 1-2 "half days". I don't like kids enough to do this. I "called off" yesterday(she took them to her MIL's). If I hadn't done that I would be there 6 days in a row, I just can't do that. I'm becoming more and more iritated and cranky, I think it's time to start daycare. This is not what I signed up for.

Yes she is paying me and I like the money but it's really not worth it. How could I tell her I can't do it this much? The 12 hour days are killing me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Just be honest-- say "I'm really tired and think you might need to take the kids to a daycare center." Let her know you love her and the kids (as I'm sure you do) but just that you need a break.

Holding it off/not saying anything will just make you more aggrivated and therefore make you more vulnerable to exploding.
    XXmonroeXX

Answer by XXmonroeXX at 11:25 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• OH by the way "all day" is from 9am to 9:30pm

**OP**
    Anonymous

• Simple, let her know that your life is hectic enough with your own kid and that watching her children full time leaves you with no time to get anything done and that you think that it is best for them to start daycare. It might piss her off, but she will get over it.
    wyattsmommy626

Answer by wyattsmommy626 at 11:27 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Maybe you could first try dropping some bubtle hints. Maybe look up some info online on how to find the perfect day-care. Print that off and hive it to her. Make a list of some good day-cares in her area. If that doesn't work just tell her that you love her and want to help her out as much as possible, but your house work and chores are falling behind and you need to cut down on your hours or completely quit. Good luck! I know it's a sticky situation but if she's a true friend then she will still be your friend no matter what.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 11:28 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Oops, I meant subtle, not bubtle. lol.
    renea20

• Just tell her, nicely. Just explain to her it is too much for you ,and the kids aren't getting the care they deserve because you are overwhelmed. Give her a set time that you will no longer be babysitting...say 2 weeks. Then leave it at that. She is your sister, she should understand and respect you for being honest. Tell her you do care very much for her children, but you just can't handle it.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:43 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• OK, sit her down and say,"Listen toots, I love your kids with all my heart, but I can't keep watching them. It's getting to hard on me. I'll watch them til you can find some other form of child care, but don't be taking a million years to do it or I won't be answering my door when you come a knocking. Yes, I know you pay me, Yes I know it sucks being single parent or what not, but I don't want to end up being your enemy."

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Say,"Listen sis, My hubby is being a real asshole and can't really handle me watching your kids all the time you have 2 weeks to find another sitter"

While that maybe a lie, think of your sanity!!!!!
    Tough love sis!
    I had to do the same thing with my sister!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 11:46 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• This happened to me with the lady across the street, (not family) and yet she told me it would only be 2 hours a day, I had to pickup her 4th grader 5 days a week and suddenly it turned into 3-4 hours a day and all she paid me was $30 a week! Imagine $6 a day!?, I was so broke with a baby that I just dealt with it until THANK GOD, she thought her daughter was old enought to walk home from school. I woul just lie to her (white lie) say you went to the doctor and he said you are overstressed. Something that won't hurt your relationship.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I would be simple with her.. tell her it's too much for you right now, and although you don't mind helping her out, you need your time back. Compromise a bit with her at first.. tell her perhaps two days a week and that's it, and after a week or two.. work it down to one day, and then after another week or two.. work it down to none. This way your also allowing her to have time to get into the day care, so there is no guilt that you should have to feel.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:58 AM on Jul. 27, 2009