Followup question

Recently I posted a question on Goddess Moon Circles academy. I realize I should have been more specific. GMCA is a online pagan homeschool. After I enrolled (after previous very prompt correspondence with the headmistress) and paid $200 for a years worth of curriculum, the headmistress disappeared and I still had no access to anything. I wrote many many letters for a week and a half. Still nothing. Finally I started researching the names she had used. Kate Whittaker, the name she gave me seemed on the up and up. But apparently thats an alias. Kate is her middle name, she usually goes by "Lisa gerry". And apparently Lisa gerry is infamous for internet scams. So I took action, I filed a complaint in paypal, sent a request for repayment and a letter stating she had 24 hrs to respond with either my money or what I paid for, or I was filing both criminal and civil charges. Lo and behold she suddenly resurfaced.

NightOwlMama

Asked by NightOwlMama at 11:29 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Claiming she had an ear infection and thats why it took her a week and a half to respond. Of course this was 20 mins after action had been taken. She claims that I had access all along she just hadnt been able to mail the password and acct name to me, but it took me 5 trys after she mailed the info to me for me to be able to get in. I suspect she set it up at that moment and it took time to process bt have no proof. I was able to download the curriculum bt am disappointed bc it was not very good, all things I have seen for free on the internet just complied and not very detailed. Now the $200 was for a detailed curriculum, teacher aid, student online interaction, and her reporting to the state in my child's behalf. I have heard from other posts of her that in the past, she has not reported to the state, and there have been no access to the teachers (who I also found out are more aliases for herself).
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 11:36 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• So all of the teachers are her. Now I am not sure what to do bc I finally did recieve the curriculum bt it definately wasnt what she said it would be, and I wont know about the other stuff till school year starts. If I dont get what I paid for I want my money back, I had to sell my own things to provide it. My questions are, those who said they had been scammed, please give more detail or pm me if you dont want it to be public. Those who are just giving advice, what should I do, and homeschooling moms, is there any way to tell if she can legally report to the state for me and if not what do I do? I am so new at all this. I just want my daughter to have a good education.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 11:40 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I really don't have anything in the way of advice, but I wanted to say sorry! This really sucks! I hope you get some good answers and that your DD gets what she needs!
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 11:43 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Is there any way you can get ahold of the state to make sure she can report to them? Maybe call the State Education department. They should have a list of people who can legally provide homeschool material. That's about all I've got for you. Hope everything works out.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 12:11 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• anon-totally uncalled for.

OP-I'm sorry I don't have any advice, maybe if you post in the shopping section or money section.
    I'm sorry this happened to you.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:13 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Thank you anon for that wonderful bit of advice. I have seen Christian scam artists too. What about all those people who claim to be collecting money to use to help the poor and then it goes right into their pockets. Religion doesn't affect one way or the other a persons ability to be a crock.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 12:15 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• here are some links, about complaints against teachers (in the first link) and against businesses (in the second link), I hope these help you to at least get her name out there for others to be aware of. (these should also help so the government can pull her business and/or teaching license)

http://www.qct.edu.au/conduct/complaints.html

http://ag.ca.gov/consumers/general.php

I hope this helps some.  Thank you also for the heads up.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:47 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I know there is a secular home schooling group in cafe mom that might be able to give you some help.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 1:30 AM on Jul. 27, 2009