How do I prevent my future-child from going to grandma's? ((read details))

My grandma's house....smells. Really bad. She has lots of animals and while she's great at taking care of them, they make a terrible stench and make messes everywhere. Her house is VERY small and a huge mess and I don't even like going there (and my parents usually don't make me go there). The problem is that she's telling me constantly to have her babysit the baby when it's born. I said no, I will find someone very nicely multiple times before but she keeps nagging.

I don't want to say "Your house smells" or anything like that.... and it's not that I don't want her to see the baby-- I do very much-- it's just that I don't ever want the baby to be at her house where he/she could get sick easily or just become a place for germs.

What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I avoided my DH's family from watching my DS for a year...I also haven't had a life because of it. Let her watch the baby once when it is small and will stay in a bouncy and maybe she will realize she doesn't WANT to babysit!
    wyattsmommy626

Answer by wyattsmommy626 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Okay My DH's mothers house is the same way. On top of 3 kids living there! I already told DH to lie through his teeth about why our son can't go over there. I went there the other day to drop something off and I had a roach crawling up my damn leg. I flipped the hell out. It's not safe for babies or toddlers to be in places like that. Keep that in mind before you break down and take your baby over there. I would find a baby sitter/daycare and decline her watching the baby by saying its already been paid up for a few months or something.
    Anonymous

• I agree. Possible hard feelings are worth it as long as your baby is safe. Maybe jump at opportunities for her to see the baby outside of her home; like another family member's house or invite her over. As far as her baby sitting.....I agree with the mom above....this is a situation where a little lie is okay in my opinion lol.
    sarahgibbs

Answer by sarahgibbs at 11:39 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Is this your Grandmother? Is she able to take care of an infant? I know My grandma isn't. . . but if she is, is it possible for Granny to come to your house to baby sit? Use the excuse of having all "his" fave stuff there or something? Otherwise tell the "truth", "I don't want to burden you with the care. . . you've raised your kids you deserve to just sit back and spoil them"
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:47 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Use the pets as an excuse, pet dander, hair, allergies, etc. This only works if you and your mom and dad don't really have pets mind you.
    Anonymous

• I have a lot of the same problems with my parents house. My son in 3 years have never stayed the night or for any length of time without me or my husband. I just finall was honest with them. They did not like it BUT he is my son and I will do whatever I have to do to protect him!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:08 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Why not have her come to your house. Show her how you do things and ask her that you do them the same way because you are trying to get the baby in a routine. This is the best way to have her involved. Also let her know that there will be no animals at your house. If this doesn't work then you need to get together with her and the baby outside of her home. This way they will have some time to get to know each other. If none of these work, you just need to tell her the truth. Elderly people are a lot stronger than what we give them credit for.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 12:28 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Be honest! If someone felt like that about you or your home for some reason and you had no clue.. wouldnt you want to know?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Continue saying no. Is the situation so bad that it might be a health department concern? Or an animal welfare issue? I would be worried about that.

Have her come to you. Plain and simple. And DO NOT feel guilty about it.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:45 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Why don't you help your grandma out? Maybe she is unable to keep up on her house work and can't afford to hire a house keeper. Maybe look into Easter Seals to help her out. My grandmother is disabled an has been for 35 years and they send an aide to do her laundry, clean up, give her a shower and all the little things. She is a wonderful woman, comes 5 days a week.
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 12:46 AM on Jul. 27, 2009