Please Tell Me I'm Not The Only One...

Please tell me i'm not the only momma who breaks down when their lo won't stop crying. My son will be 7 months in august and since tuesday of this past week when he got his shots he has been overly fussy about everything! I have held him, fed him, changed him, burped him, I have walked with him, I have taken him for walks, I have sang to him, I have let him be by himself, tried his jumper, his walker, his entertainment chair, put a movie on, let others hold him and talk to him and NOTHING is making him happy right now. Someone suggested that he is getting his personality now but I dunno? If this is how they get their personality its driving me crazy! At this point I would rather him sleep for long periods at a time just so I can get my sanity back together. I am not a momma who thinks like this usually. I love my son dearly but I am so overly stressed. Any advice on whats going on?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 12:05 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He may understand that you are stressed. Babies feed off the anxiety of their caregivers. If you are nervous, he will be too. If you are panicky, he will be too. However, If he has been having problems from shots for more than two days, you should contact your pediatrician. Perhaps he is having an adverse reaction. Also, is there any chance he has an ear infection, diaper rash, or he is teething? He may need some sort of relief from something like that, or related to that perhaps. I would contact your pediatrician just to be on the safe side. See if you can have someone you trust help you for an hour so you can relax and get a handle on yourself again. I bet just feeling in control will help a lot. Good luck.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:09 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• He could be teeething at 7 months and it is something you should try giving tylenol or baby teething tablets. They are completely safe. I can understand why you would think it was the shots but I really think it is about the teething time. It will get better. Hang in there. Have someone else take him for a little and gather yourself. I have trouble now with getting upset and just needing time to calm down for a minute and my DD is 18months. Keep your head up.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 12:10 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• It is probably a reaction to the shots. How many did he have at once. Next time limit the doctor to 1 shot every 3 months. You have 5 years before school starts take your time.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 12:10 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I know just how you feel. My DD cried from about 3wks. old to 2 mos, non-stop. She seriously cried for hours and hours a day. When she wasn't crying, she was majorly fussy. I had a very hard time adjusting to motherhood. I never anticipated I'd have such a fussy baby. At 4.5 mos, she still gets fussy when she's tired or hungry, but she's nothing like she was. Maybe he's teething? Have you called your doc? In the meantime, you're already doing all you can. When he gets too crazy, I'd say put him in the crib. We used to put my DD in her crib to let off steam and after some crying she'd be much more calm. You can also try a change of scenery. A walk or drive might help. Hang in there. I've def. been there.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:13 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I forgot to write that I have given him teething tablets, tylenol, and motrin. Not all at the same time though. I am just overwhelmed right now. And he is staying the night with a friend of mine tonight til around 2pm tomorrow so I am getting a lil break.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I agree with babyfat5. Our pedi gives us a handout everytime my DD gets shots. Excessive crying is one of the signs that something COULD be wrong. Try taking his temp just to make sure he's not running fever, and call your pedi first thing in the morning, let them know he's been this way since he got the shots... Good luck hun.
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 12:15 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• As for the 'getting his personality' now thing, I seriously doubt that. Most babies have a personality at around 3 mos. Could he have an earache? My co-workers granddaughter has to get tubes in her ears and the only way they were able to tell something was wrong was b/c she cried so much and threw up. It helped me to keep saying the mantra 'one day at a time.' With babies, everyday is different.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:15 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My son started teething at 7 months and he was really fussy, then he stopped for like two weeks and now he is back to being fussy and he is almost 9 months now, just keep you head up and be strong, good luck
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:21 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Its okay!! its the shots!! My baby just went through the same thing. Three days stright. I was going out of my mind. I even rushed her into the doctor, insisting that this is not how my baby is, there must be something wrong. They said it could be the shots. and that sometimes it takes a week for them to feel better. Amazingly enough, the next day she was perfect.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 12:22 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Of course you're not the only one! The true purpose of bonding is to keep us from eating the little darlings when they get like this! Teethign tablets can help. WHat can help more? Hand baby to DAD and get the heck out oif Dodge for a bit.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:42 AM on Jul. 27, 2009