"Do I go with my gut feeling?"

My daughter is 6 yrs old and has a BF. They use to do EVERYTHING together. One day it all stopped. My daughter WILL NOT go to her house or stay the night unless I am there. Where as before, I couldn't bribe her to come home. She will stay the night with my family, but that's it. Some say it's a stage and she's been threw this stage before. She is so addiment about me not leaving her at her friends house alone. My daughter was invited to go to the beach with this family and some other friends. At first she was excited. And then, just like a light switch, she asked if she had to go and if she could change her mind. My husband and I are at our wits end. We both agree something had to happen, just not sure what though. I don't know what to do anymore. She says nothing has happened and she doesn't have a reason for her behavior. What should I do? "PLEASE HELP ME!!!!"

emmasmommy2007

Asked by emmasmommy2007 at 12:08 AM on Jul. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Go with your gut feeling. I hope you find out what's wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Hard to say what the reason maybe , but I'm sure to her it's good enough. I would just watch her habits close. If she dose not wish to go , then I would By NO MEANS make her. Make sure you are keeping a open comnunication with her so than when she ready to tell you what it is that is botherd her about this Friend that she can come to you with it. ( cause at this age it could be some very small or somthing more serious, Just let her know your there for her either way.) good luck
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 12:17 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• maybe take her to the doc to be examined they know what to look for, also like the ladie above don't make her go if he doesn't want to
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 12:35 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I wouldn't make her go. I also would not make a super big deal and just let her know (subtly) that you are available to talk about whatever is bothering her about going over there.
    It could be something simple or even something like she saw the parents fighting really nasty or whatever. Shag's answer is spot on.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 1:03 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I agree with the others and don't make her do anything she doesn't want to do. As far as something happening...I wouldn't jump to conclusions but I wouldn't rule out possibilites either. Sometimes kids do go through phases of not wanting to stay alone at certain places. Maybe she is going through a phase of homesickness when she is not around family? However...there is always the chance that "something" could have happened there that is making her not want to go. Not to assume that it was something really awful, but maybe she got scolded for doing something wrong, or maybe she got afraid of something. I would just keep asking her what is the matter. If she really insists that nothing is wrong than I would just wait it out and see if her behavior changes. If you really want to make sure the worst didn't happen...take her to the doctor and have her examined. If you are thinking along those lines at least you can rule that out.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:52 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• kids are really bad at holding things back from their parents. i would just keep talking to her about anything and everything, then would slip in questions about friends. the more you talk to a kid, the more they are willing to tell you. the truth will come out. but i agree most heartedly, don't make her do anything she doesn't want to.

i just get the feeling like there was something that made her feel uncomfortable, like she broke something, maybe they started calling her names or maybe they have a potty mouth. she doesn't want to tell you because someone will get in trouble but she doesn't want you to leave because she wants a quick escape.
    spazlilsister

Answer by spazlilsister at 11:02 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• go with your gut. ALWAYS go with your gut.
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 2:58 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I went through something like this. I would go to spend the night some where then when it was time for bed I'd miss my mom and make up an excuse to go home. I out grew it though. I wouldn't push her though.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 27, 2009